Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually a liquid fertilizer and other is a soil amendment spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. Expensive bagged product endorsed by paid/sponsored hunters with tv shows.

I can go down to my local co op and buy one, or more than one to custom blend the fertilizer mix most beneficial to my soils needs. Don't need it by the ton, they will weigh it and sell it by the pound if you bring a container. They have about any possible combination you care to use. They have the macro nutrients separately and some blends, they also have the micro nutrients you can blend in addition.

For example, I purchased 2 different products to mix together. Three 5 gallon buckets of each. They also have pull behind spreaders to loan out. Some are large and I would guess would hold about 2 tons. They also have a smaller one that holds 500# IIRC, then a smaller pull behind that holds 250#.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haakdustin - I have reviewed both of the referenced products and I am in the soil amendment business. I would not recommend using either products because of the hype. These products are being hyped with no sound basis for their use. Soil amendments are not magic. My first recommendation to anybody wanting to improve their soil is to get a soil sample to see what the soil needs then determine what your goal is. I recommend different amendments for different plantings. Oats and wheat need different amounts of N-P-K than clover or peas. I have planted food plots since 1987 and have seen many products come and go. These two in question are relatively expensive and do not address your underlying need. Bassin, Dennis Hoddy, and others are well versed in what we speak. I would not waste your money. If you want some real help send me a pm

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used antler king Jolt and Antler King plot max? Maybe even a product similar. How were the results?

Looking at the Jolt info, kind of interesting and looking at it from an ag perspective vs food plot. Jolt is a 9-17-8 npk product, and most npk blends for foliar ag use are not that high across the board(I don't know of any npk blends sprayed around here actually because of the particular crops planted). There'a a ton of ag chemical companies to browse and compare products and see how Jolt might or might not compare to products that are used in the ag world. For example : http://www.spraygro.com.au/broadacre.php

Foliar ferts are not cheap, pricing on the Jolt seems about average to cheap.

haakdustin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Deer Slayer. I should be getting my soil tests back in a week or so and will pm you when I have more information. I'm going to plant 10 to 12 acres this spring on my 120 acre piece of land. Do you think I should use all Eagle Seed products? The green spots are the current ideas for plots
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160216_180824642d202202b320665e8eeb3fbf.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Deer Slayer. I should be getting my soil tests back in a week or so and will pm you when I have more information. I'm going to plant 10 to 12 acres this spring on my 120 acre piece of land. Do you think I should use all Eagle Seed products? The green spots are the current ideas for plots
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160216_180824642d202202b320665e8eeb3fbf.jpg

Eagle Seeds has some great Forage Soybeans. GameKeeper is one of my favorites. It is mix of varieties. I don't recommend it for small plots unless you can fence it off until the plants get established. It will help them to keep up with grazing pressure, if they can get established first.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The BFO 's are coming out of dormancy with the warm weather so its time to give them a spray of fertilizer. Now if we can just get some rain on Tuesday then we will be golden. Green up will be soon. My clover is starting to perk up too. Just need rain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom