Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started at daylight this morning brush hogging 4 properties. Finished up around 8:30 this evening. Long day and I’m tired.
Johnson grass thick and 8’ tall. Low range and first gear most of the time but it’s finished and ready for tilling and planting.

IMG_2026.jpeg
IMG_2030.jpeg

On one farm, saw my blind had a chunk blown out from the inside? WTF?
There is a piece of aluminum trim on that corner as well. Found the trim but not the piece that got blown out? Didn’t have time to crawl up there to see what happened, but I’ll be in the area almost daily For the foreseeable future, so, I’ll check it out.

IMG_2029.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Started at daylight this morning brush hogging 4 properties. Finished up around 8:30 this evening. Long day and I’m tired.
Johnson grass thick and 8’ tall. Low range and first gear most of the time but it’s finished and ready for tilling and planting.

View attachment 406330View attachment 406331

On one farm, saw my blind had a chunk blown out from the inside? WTF?
There is a piece of aluminum trim on that corner as well. Found the trim but not the piece that got blown out? Didn’t have time to crawl up there to see what happened, but I’ll be in the area almost daily For the foreseeable future, so, I’ll check it out.

View attachment 406332
Lightning?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I left the house on the tractor at 6:15 this morning and got off at 8:00 this evening, and I only got three stand sites cleaned up and probably only 2/3 of the roads mowed out. I’ll be hitting it hard again tomorrow and hopefully be able to start tilling by tomorrow afternoon. In 20 years of doing this, I’m pretty sure this is the worst it’s been, but I partially blame myself for only mowing once instead of twice. I also think the fire in April and the regular rains contributed to the extra growth.
IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disked mine last weekend, will plant tomorrow or Sunday.
Just got prices - 13/13/13 is 17.75 a bag, certified wheat 19.00 per bag
What else are you planting? We're going to shift to a perennial clover/chicory plot with a fall cover crop of cereal rye or forage oats or wheat. Still figuring out what's best on our place given we have a very sandy soil so some plots will have rye, a couple with oats and a couple with wheat.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What else are you planting? We're going to shift to a perennial clover/chicory plot with a fall cover crop of cereal rye or forage oats or wheat. Still figuring out what's best on our place given we have a very sandy soil so some plots will have rye, a couple with oats and a couple with wheat.
I'll throw some clover on top after I disk in the wheat. There's a guy that runs cows on us from Jan-Labor Day, so it doesn't do me much good to plant other stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom