Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have changed my mind on what I am going to plant. I am going to plant a relatively new blend of soybeans. The beans will grow to a height of approx 4-5' and turn into a jungle. The protein level may reach 40+ percent. I am going to get them planted tomorrow and take pictures every 2 weeks or so to document the results. Stay tuned

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin - These are ROUNDUP READY soybeans and are from Eagle Seed Co. I got these at Ross Seed Co. in El Reno 405/262-3456. Ask for Tom Ross and he will get you fixed up. A bag of them costs $89.00 and will plant 1 acre. Tom told me yesterday that they will last until frost and produce a ton of seed pods. This bag contains a blend of 3 varieties of soybeans. Two of the varieties are bush type and the third is a forage type and will climb all over the other 2. The first 2 provide support for the third. Ross Seed has been a good source of wildlife blends for many years and they are a good folks too.
They provided me yesterday with information on some of their blends and I have a few suggestions on seeds that they might add to tweek what they offer.

Good luck and let me here how you do.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep for $89 I will definitely wait for some more rain to plant the soybeans. Until then I will buy a bag of feed milo and broadcast it over some worked ground and drag over it. If it don't get enough moisture I will be out less than 10 for seed.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The blend is call "Game Keeper". I think I have enough moisture that I am going to take the shot.

I was actually reading up last night on mineral blends, protein pellets, and food plot blends. I saw the soybean mixes you are talking about on the Ross website. We have only had .50 of rain. I am thinking with the soybeans I might have to invest in a row planter to get the best use out of the beans. If we get more rain anyway. I would like at least 2 acres of foodplots for now.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ob have you ever tried cowpeas i hav'nt ever planted anything that deer like better only problem you will have with them is if you have alot deer in the area and only a small plot they we eat them into the ground before they a chance to grow.plant about 20lbs a acre with just some milo scatt in the deer love them in summer and in the fall after frost they willl have pods if field was big enough to grow i also in the fall before a rain i broadcast rye and alfalfa the deer will kick dirt over it and then get a rain it will come up then they have green & cow pea pods this will pull deer from miles around anytime i get to plant i have bucks to show i never seen before makes great eaaly oct bow hunting because the biggest bucks in the area will be there and they are do'nt cost must

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklabassin - I tilled some of the plot today after spraying the field with some soil amendments. I will add 100 pounds of 15-15-15, broadcast the beans then drag with chainlink followed by a cultipacker. The subsurface moisture is there but the top is getting a little dusty. Rain is forecast on Tuesday. I visited with the Owner of Eagle Seed today and am looking forward to see if the plants live up to the claim. If you come to OKC during the summer give me some advanced warning and I will show you the plot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom