Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a little bit of Lab-Lab left from last year. I might put it in with some millet and milo for the pheasant. I worked up the ground the other day. Just waiting on a good forecast for rain.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - Why don't you wash your truck or car near the foodplot. Hey, it might work. I am desperate for rain. I am investigating the cost of an electric irrigation pump to irrigate the food plots from the Deep Fork River.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, You got that right!! I was planning on putting in a summer crop for my kids but w/o irrigation or rain its futile. I am still putting out a little corn and the deer are coming up during the night. Yesterday I sprayed a small plot with Clothedium and crop oil to eliminate the grass buildup. This can be sprayed on clover or alfalfa and it will not effect the clover or alf. It just kills the grass. Takes about 3 weeks to see results. I spray it on my vegetable garden to eliminate the bermuda grass and other noxious grass. It does not effect the vegs. Rain safe in 4 hrs.

SE/Okla has been getting timely rains, 2.25" in the last week. I need to spray my fields down there to knock out the rye.

Deer are hitting the mineral heavy right now and will until mid to late July.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has been soooooooo dry I have advised people to hold off planting a summer crop for fear evrything would not make it out of the ground. I may start feeding protein pellets early to my deer that are stressed. I pray the rain pattern gets back to normal so I can still plant.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had enough moisture, I think, that I am going to quickly plant a summer crop of soybeans, black oil sunflowers, lab lab, and some wild game food sorghum. This will grow into a jungle which the deer will bed in and feed. They love all this food that matures at different times during the summer. Pray for more rain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom