Food Supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big topic to cover here. Store what you will eat, eat what you store, rotate. Buy extras when you buy your normal groceries. Canned goods are fine for starting out. Lots and LOTS of options!!

SDS

skycitadel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The extremely long term stuff i have is mostly stuff I bought from the LDS website http://store.lds.org. They have very reasonable prices and i think when i bought shipping was free. They also have regional places that may or may not be used by non church members to can or pack foods using their equipment.

Another avenue is the local farmers market. You know that the food is most likely fresh and some farmers even pack grains in 5 gallon buckets.....if you store whole grains you probably want a grinder.

Everyday foods that i buy i usually buy more than i need and if i cant eat it all, i donate to needy people or charities.

ewcraig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to add peanut butter, slim jims and jerky.

Agreed on these items for lots of protein.

What do you all think of those meals that you can buy that are supposed to last for like 25 years? Is that overkill?

They seem a very expensive and it seems to me that the idea of buying canned goods, ramen noodles, beans/rice, and the items you all have listed above should make for good food reserves.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ewcraig, the freeze dried stuff has a really long shelf life. The foil packed stuff will last 7-10 years. The cans have a shelf life of 30 years. For long term storage it's good but expensive. Whether it's "worth it" depends on what your trying to accomplish. You are the only one that can decide what your end goals are and then make your decisions based on that.

End of the world scenario? Job loss? Power outages or natural disasters? Make your choices based on what you expect you will need the stuff for then plan accordingly.

SDS

skycitadel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you all think of those meals that you can buy that are supposed to last for like 25 years? Is that overkill?

Depends on what you are prepping for and your budget. If you are prepping for things like ice storms, tornadoes, earthquakes or similar events....most likely just buying extra of what you already eat will be enough. If you think though that something like the depression could happen again, and how long that could last for with greatly inflated food prices and/or shortages/rationioning, then some longer storing foods and a more deeply packed pantry may be the case.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like rice and beans for LTS. They are cheap in bulk and when have a great storage life. I pack the goods in mylar bags that are placed into 5 gallon buckets. I use dry ice to purge out the O2 and then seal the bags with an iron. If I am thinking right a 5 gallon bucket will hold around 35-40 pounds of rice and around 30-35 pounds of beans. It is a cheap, and healthy emergency food storage solution. Just make sure to store some seasonings and some salt so that you will not be eating a super bland diet. I also have some extra canned foods that I rotate through as well as some freeze dried meals. CHEERS

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Depends on what you are prepping for and your budget. If you are prepping for things like ice storms, tornadoes, earthquakes or similar events....most likely just buying extra of what you already eat will be enough. If you think though that something like the depression could happen again, and how long that could last for with greatly inflated food prices and/or shortages/rationioning, then some longer storing foods and a more deeply packed pantry may be the case.

This^^^^

I just have alot of extra "regular" food and typical can goods. My freezer is always full, usually have a few extra loaves of bread and the bottom of the freezers is lined with water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom