For all you diesel guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really have no complaints with the old 7.3 Powerstroke
My 1995 F350 weighs over 6600 lb, motor is 444 cubes, and I regularly get over 19 mpg mixed driving.
Our work van has a 6.0 Powerstroke and lets us down regularly. I've gotten where I really don't trust it on trips.
I do love the Cummins though.
[Broken External Image]

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had them all...Sold my last Dodge in 2001 because at 50k miles the tranny went out, the doors were sagging, the interior was falling apart, and it was built in Mexico.( I loved the 5.9 cummins engine, but that was it ) I like the Chevy/Gmc's, the duramax is a good engine but the rest of the truck is not made to hold up to abuse. I have a close friend who bent his frame in the middle hauling a backhoe with his 2004 3500 Chevy. The Ford is the best built truck by far. I am not near a fan of the 6.0's as my old 7.3 trucks. The 6.0's can be very dependable with proper oil changes, EGR deletes and cutting off the cats.

Here is my 12k pound 2004 f-550 that has hauled a car,truck,suv on its back 90% of its life. put a used engine in it last summer, and a new ford trans. The original engine and trans went over 390k miles.

i702.photobucket.com_albums_ww22_gearys5600_rollback2.jpg

i702.photobucket.com_albums_ww22_gearys5600_rollback1.jpg

My 06 Ford f-250 that I bought new...120k miles, Been in the shop 1 time for 2 leaky injectors. EGR delete at 100k miles.

i702.photobucket.com_albums_ww22_gearys5600_06f_250.jpg

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The DMax is good if you want a light duty truck that gets good mileage. It isn't very good at heavy towing. The Dodge is a cheap chassis, crappy transmission, and great engine. It is easy to work on. The 5.9 can be modded and withstand a lot, while still getting good mileage. Lift pumps go out a lot. The Super Duty is the best overall truck. It has a better suspension, transmission, and a more solid frame and cab. The 6.0 was problematic, but if you delete the egr, put head studs on it, and keep up with the maintenance, it is reliable. The best diesel set-up would be a 12v cummins in a superduty. I own a couple of 04 F-250s with 6.0s and an 06 Dodge with a commonrail.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always enjoy the opportunity to show off my "heavy hauler." Its a 2008, Ford F450 that we bought to pull our luxury fifth wheel that is our home now. The trailer is 18,500 lbs of GVWR and the F450 acts like nothing is behind it. I'm anxious to try out a few Colorado mountain passes to see how well it does there. Equipped with a 6.4L with automatic transmission and a 4:88 rear differential ratio. Ought to be really good on mountain passes.

I could care less about speed, and towing 18,500 lbs, I don't worry about fuel mileage either.

And yeah, that's my ugly mug.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Our_20New_20Home_TMandHisTruck_1.jpg

Awesome truck. Been looking for something just like that. Everything I've read, the 6.4 is the way to go. the Duramax is a good motor too, but I just can't bring myself to not get a Ford and spend my money on a Government Motors vehicle.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
50k truck and add another 5k in factory screwup mods and your happy with that? Case closed lol

It went 150K trouble free miles. Could have gone more. I wanted to hot rod the piss out of it. And I've been doing just that for 40K miles on a truck, engine and tranny that already had 150K miles on them. It's been a great truck. Yes, I agree, case is closed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom