Forward falling poppers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainIPSC

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey guys we're trying to expand and update our range equipment. We just acquired some ar500 plate and it's being cut into full sized poppers. It's been quite a while since I've seen a forward falling popper. I kinda remember how I've seen some work but would prefer to beg, barrow, steal someone's design and cut down on the R & D or look at someone's idea that they think would be better. Anything would help. Pictures, sketches, short videos anything!!!

Thanks

Jim

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys we're trying to expand and update our range equipment. We just acquired some ar500 plate and it's being cut into full sized poppers. It's been quite a while since I've seen a forward falling popper. I kinda remember how I've seen some work but would prefer to beg, barrow, steal someone's design and cut down on the R & D or look at someone's idea that they think would be better. Anything would help. Pictures, sketches, short videos anything!!!

Thanks

Jim

Remind me Saturday, and I'll draw a design for you that I've seen.
I'm sure there are others out there as well.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are building new Poppers, then forward fallers are the way to go. Shooters will try to "drive down" rear fallers by putting more bullets on them, potentially causing a safety hazard. Forward fallers also do a better job of deflecting bullet chunks down toward their base, another safety plus.

About the only downside of a forward faller is that a broken latch mechanism will put it out of service until repaired. They don't break often enough to worry about it.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had heard that some densely populated areas were requiring them due to liability concerns from ricochets. I was wondering if that was hitting Oklahoma yet.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had heard that some densely populated areas were requiring them due to liability concerns from ricochets. I was wondering if that was hitting Oklahoma yet.

A properly functional (not cupped or excessively pitted) rear faller isn't a problem on outdoor ranges IMO. Personally I do not design COF's that will tempt a shooter to fire multiple repeat shoots at a Popper, in an attempt to "drive" in down.

For Oklahoma, the increased wind coping feature makes the forward faller very attractive to match diversity on a windy Sooner day.

CaptainIPSC

Marksman
Reaction score
Steve next trip I make to Tulsa I'll take you up on that. I haven't been to your place since the '06 nationals when you all were still building. I'd like to see all the improvements I've seen on TV in person. Thanks

You all have touched on many of the reasons we're facing. We only had a single berm at our old range so we had to shoot a stage, re-arrange and shot another and so on. So we didn't need many poppers. Also the poppers we have are cupped pretty bad and we've been experiencing a lot of wind problems with our current poppers.

Our turn out seems to be growing so we're trying to at least show some kind of regular improvement to keep folks coming out and shooting with us. We're still low on walls, target stands, poppers etc. for what we really need at our new range but we're gaining!!!!!

So while we're building we might as well use the latest design.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Steve next trip I make to Tulsa I'll take you up on that. I haven't been to your place since the '06 nationals when you all were still building. I'd like to see all the improvements I've seen on TV in person. Thanks

You all have touched on many of the reasons we're facing. We only had a single berm at our old range so we had to shoot a stage, re-arrange and shot another and so on. So we didn't need many poppers. Also the poppers we have are cupped pretty bad and we've been experiencing a lot of wind problems with our current poppers.

Our turn out seems to be growing so we're trying to at least show some kind of regular improvement to keep folks coming out and shooting with us. We're still low on walls, target stands, poppers etc. for what we really need at our new range but we're gaining!!!!!

So while we're building we might as well use the latest design.

Sounds good just give me a heads up! Bring your camera and a tape measure and we will show you those target systems. We have a lot of stuff you might find useful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom