Found my new hunting addiction. And learned a painful lesson.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went up to the panhandle with the girlfriend to see her parents this weekend. To me, her dad is a pretty awesome guy, we like all the same stuff.

Well, her dad has gotten me caught up on predator and varmint hunting. Saturday we stopped by a few prairie dog towns, but to no avail. There's no cover up in beaver county, and these damn prairie rats are used to being shot at. After mass today, while the women were getting some food prepped for the potluck we were supposed to go to, we snuck off and went to our most promising area yet to see if we could pop a few prairie dogs. We were in luck, and after making a bit of a scene, I managed to get a perfect 150 yard headshot on the lookout, who had the top half of his head poking out of his home. He didn't have much head left, looks like a solid shot through his eye sockets, taking most of his head with it. Most fun I've had with .223 since I was in the Marines.

With the painful lesson, I have to start off by saying that I at the moment shoot a S&W M&P 15 sport. While it is cheap and not too attractive I love it, and is rather accurate, feels nice, and dead reliable to me so far. Way better than the beat up rifles we had in the Corps. I did a couple things to make it feel nicer to me, as I despise the standard issue 6 position stock. I have a Nikon p223 bdc600 scope on it with 1 piece Nikon m233 rings. Not the best quality, but good enough for me, I love it. I did however put a new muzzle break on it, rather than the birdcage, and while it does a wonderful job of eliminating muzzle rise, it turns this little rifle into a cannon. I had someone complain that they felt like it was gonna knock a filling out, as they were standing to my side. Just about blew my ear drum out today, being up against the side of a hump, my left side caught the brunt of my blast. Can't stress hearing protection enough!

My muzzle brake is similar to this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Model-Competi...=1428289189&sr=8-1&keywords=ar15+muzzle+brake

image.jpg

Just thought I would share!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta shoot with hearing protection. I RO'd a guy at an indoor match with an SBR, and a rolling thunder brake. Even though I had plugs and muffs, the Mz blast totally distracted me. It was like getting punched in rapid succession about 20 times.

Brakes are wonderful things for a specific purpose. Hunting.....I'll stay away from them. Competition, I run em.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have that exact same muzzle break on my armalite and everytime we go to the range someone will bring up how loud or concussive it is

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely need more than one shot while hunting so repeated target acquisition is never a problem.

Ouch. Touché sir. I'm a bit greedy, and while getting a second shot on a prairie dog is a bit of wishful thinking, and almost never necessary, I like to be able to bag one or two before they all find their homes.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went up to the panhandle with the girlfriend to see her parents this weekend. To me, her dad is a pretty awesome guy, we like all the same stuff.

Well, her dad has gotten me caught up on predator and varmint hunting. Saturday we stopped by a few prairie dog towns, but to no avail. There's no cover up in beaver county, and these damn prairie rats are used to being shot at. After mass today, while the women were getting some food prepped for the potluck we were supposed to go to, we snuck off and went to our most promising area yet to see if we could pop a few prairie dogs. We were in luck, and after making a bit of a scene, I managed to get a perfect 150 yard headshot on the lookout, who had the top half of his head poking out of his home. He didn't have much head left, looks like a solid shot through his eye sockets, taking most of his head with it. Most fun I've had with .223 since I was in the Marines.

With the painful lesson, I have to start off by saying that I at the moment shoot a S&W M&P 15 sport. While it is cheap and not too attractive I love it, and is rather accurate, feels nice, and dead reliable to me so far. Way better than the beat up rifles we had in the Corps. I did a couple things to make it feel nicer to me, as I despise the standard issue 6 position stock. I have a Nikon p223 bdc600 scope on it with 1 piece Nikon m233 rings. Not the best quality, but good enough for me, I love it. I did however put a new muzzle break on it, rather than the birdcage, and while it does a wonderful job of eliminating muzzle rise, it turns this little rifle into a cannon. I had someone complain that they felt like it was gonna knock a filling out, as they were standing to my side. Just about blew my ear drum out today, being up against the side of a hump, my left side caught the brunt of my blast. Can't stress hearing protection enough!

My muzzle brake is similar to this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Model-Competi...=1428289189&sr=8-1&keywords=ar15+muzzle+brake

View attachment 47090

Just thought I would share!
I love to shoot prarie poodles. I find it the most enjoyable thing I have ever done (with clothes on ) we go to the panhandle every year and have gone to colorado Kansas both Dakotas and Montana in the past. Great way to spend a spring or summer day. Excellent target practice as well. And as you stated ear pro is a must !

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

hantu89

New to the site!
Reaction score
I love to shoot prarie poodles. I find it the most enjoyable thing I have ever done (with clothes on ) we go to the panhandle every year and have gone to colorado Kansas both Dakotas and Montana in the past. Great way to spend a spring or summer day. Excellent target practice as well. And as you stated ear pro is a must !

hear good, thanks bro!
[Broken External Image]

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Can't beat it! I want to find someone near the city that has some land with some that they want gone, but I'm sure it's gonna be a chore to make it happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom