four wheeler purcahse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking in to buying a four wheeler and was actually looking around at used bikes.

I was curious to know what kind of experiences people have had with buying used quads. I am looking at 420-500cc 4x4 four wheelers for the most part. Something that will mostly be used in hunting scenarios.

I am sure that it is easy to come across a quad that has been used and abused. Are there certain things that a person should look for on the quads to indicate rought use? I know to look in the air breather box to check for water marks.

I would love a new quad but do not see the sense in having to take a loan on a four wheeler, when I could nearly pay for a used one.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If buying from an individual I would look at how the rest of their truck/trailers/home/yard are taken care of. If they are a mess, the quad may be too. I know a couple of people who have bought quads from Jones Off Road and Bartlesville Cyle and had good experiences. Always partial to a Honda myself. Have a 2001 Honda Rubicon that's been trouble free until I had to put a cam bearing in last week, over 500 hours and 3500 miles.

Ozark Tracker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 5 Honda 4 wheelers, 2 350 Ranchers, 2 Foreman 4 x 4, all have had over 7500 miles put on them here around the farm, still have one of the 350 Ranchers, we got the first two in 2000 got the next 2 in 2005, had to rebuild the starters on all of them through the years, it's usually that and not a bad battery, the 350 maybe 3 times, got the stuff and do it myself, takes about 30 minutes, don't get the electric shift had trouble with all 3 that had it, the standard worked fine the whole time. be sure and drain your gas tanks at least once a year, if you don't your carb may leak when it hangs up the float, keep good plugs in it, the Honda's we have had have be great, just traded off the Foreman for a Big Red 4 x 4 side by side, find an adult owned and riden used machine, they aren't that hard to find around here, lots of machines only get rode once or twice a year and are for sale in a coupla years.

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that does suck, but I think it's time to try a different way of storing your 4 wheelers. lol Lock them up different, keep them inside, etc.
They broke in my locked shop and hauled them off on my brand new custom trailer I had built. They also helped themselves to the beer I had in the refrigerator. That really pissed me off!!!

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had 5 Honda 4 wheelers, 2 350 Ranchers, 2 Foreman 4 x 4, all have had over 7500 miles put on them here around the farm, still have one of the 350 Ranchers, we got the first two in 2000 got the next 2 in 2005, had to rebuild the starters on all of them through the years, it's usually that and not a bad battery, the 350 maybe 3 times, got the stuff and do it myself, takes about 30 minutes, don't get the electric shift had trouble with all 3 that had it, the standard worked fine the whole time. be sure and drain your gas tanks at least once a year, if you don't your carb may leak when it hangs up the float, keep good plugs in it, the Honda's we have had have be great, just traded off the Foreman for a Big Red 4 x 4 side by side, find an adult owned and riden used machine, they aren't that hard to find around here, lots of machines only get rode once or twice a year and are for sale in a coupla years.
Did you buy them as a package deal, trailer and all. JK LOL

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice thus far. I was actually leaning more towards Honda before I posted this. It seems like they are the simplest built of all the manufactures that I have looked at. I like simple. They also seem to always have great reviews.

I have pretty well blown the afternoon searching the net and looking at quads.

I have one question concerning new quad purchases. I notice that MSRP is listed on nearly every website I am coming across. I have found a few deals that would actually work out well as a new purchase but would have to travel a few extra hours to get to them. How flexible have you guys found the dealers to be on their MSRP pricing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom