Fox 25 does an open carry story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the Captain was referring to the open carry law, which is far from BS.

The Captain was saying the new open carry law was confusing. The sentiment is that calling it confusing is BS. For some reason the Captain thinks that is someone is carrying in OK on an out of state permit, OCPD will have to contact that other state to make sure the person carrying is following that states law.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Captain was saying the new open carry law was confusing. The sentiment is that calling it confusing is BS. For some reason the Captain thinks that is someone is carrying in OK on an out of state permit, OCPD will have to contact that other state to make sure the person carrying is following that states law.
Calling it BS is uninformed. Dps will be keeping a record of states with permitless carry that are covered under resprocity. If there is any question about a resident of that state carrying in Oklahoma without a permit, DPS shall be consulted and the subject in question's state issued identification card shall be considered his or her permit. There are what, 6 states with permitless open carry? This is the specific issue the Captain was referring to. I figured you OKOCA guys woulda picked up on that.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Calling it BS is uninformed. Dps will be keeping a record of states with permitless carry that are covered under resprocity. If there is any question about a resident of that state carrying in Oklahoma without a permit, DPS shall be consulted and the subject in question's state issued identification card shall be considered his or her permit. There are what, 6 states with permitless open carry? This is the specific issue the Captain was referring to. I figured you OKOCA guys woulda picked up on that.
There are 4 states that have permitless carry. However I do not believe this is what Captain Dexter was referring to.

Captain Dexter said:
"This law has been updated so many times," said Captain Dexter Nelson of the Oklahoma City Police Department, "and it's somewhat confusing, as to who can carry a gun, and when they can carry a gun."

No, it's really not confusing. Anyone with a permit can carry anywhere that is not a prohibited place or where the owner of the establishment doesn't want firearms. People from 4 states may use their drivers license as their permit. That is pretty simple to understand IMO. Oklahoma DPS is required to keep a list of permitless states.

But what he said in regards to DPS was:

Captain Dexter said:
"Not only do we have to be concerned with the law in Oklahoma, but we will be required to contact the Department of Public Safety if someone tells us they're from another state, and they're carrying a firearm," he explained.
Nothing in the new law requires LEO to contact DPS when they encounter someone carrying a firearm who is from another state. The only reason they would need to contact DPS is if someone says they are from one of the permitless states and the officer doesn't remember what those 4 states are. I do not believe DPS is contacted if someone is stopped with a TX license and they won't be contacted after Nov 1, if they are being contacted now, then there is no change after Nov 1 anyway.

Captain Dexter made 2 separate comments (as reported by Fox 25), and no one is arguing that DPS may get contacted when someone from a permitless state is carrying, but to say the law about who can carry and where is confusing.....I think the law on that is pretty clear.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an interview Sunday with the Tulsa world about OC at USSA. Talked to reporter ahead of time and he sounds Pro OC.
Would it be inappropriate to ask "Which reporter?" i have had a few conversations with one particular reporter a few years back, and although he said he was pro gun, he had a lot of anti gun bias in his conversation.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the PD officer referred to lots of changes in the CC/OC laws... people should remember that when CC first passed here in Oklahoma 17 years ago... permit holders could only use their weapons to defend themselves, their immediate family [wife / husband & kids], parents / in-laws and employees. But not strangers, nor their own adult siblings. It was strictly a SELF DEFENSE weapons permit. Now it is a handgun permit.

Since 1995, a number of changes has taken place... we now have the 'Stand Your Ground' law where you no longer have to retreat if you are able. The Castle law now includes your vehicle-- in that if anyone inside your vehicle is being attacked or is being forcibly removed against their free will.... you now can use deadly force to stop the attacker. Also, now you can use your weapon to stop a attack on someone else where a felony crime is being committed and there is a immanent threat of serious bodily injury or death to that person. So there have been a number of significant changes over the years for the police & the public to keep up with.

---------
FYI:
There is something that some of you may not be aware of or have forgotten.... here in Oklahoma, you only have 10 days in which to notify the OSBI & DPS of a address change. You sure don't want to be stopped for a Open Carry license check and have a LEO give you a lot of Jazz about the address on your weapons permit not matching the address on your Drivers License. You have to actually apply for a new weapons permit & pay the $15 fee. DPS on the other hand has only required notification of a address change so it could be changed on their computer system, but didn't require me to actually get a new license. That may have changed. Just something people should be aware of.

And if you have out of state tags on your vehicle, LEO's take a dim view of someone living as a Oklahoma resident, but driving on a out-of-state vehicle tag [unless you are military]. You don't want a ticket for 'Failure to pay taxes due the state'.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI:
There is something that some of you may not be aware of or have forgotten.... here in Oklahoma, you only have 10 days in which to notify the OSBI & DPS of a address change. You sure don't want to be stopped for a Open Carry license check and have a LEO give you a lot of Jazz about the address on your weapons permit not matching the address on your Drivers License. You have to actually apply for a new weapons permit & pay the $15 fee. DPS on the other hand has only required notification of a address change so it could be changed on their computer system, but didn't require me to actually get a new license. That may have changed. Just something people should be aware of.

And if you have out of state tags on your vehicle, LEO's take a dim view of someone living as a Oklahoma resident, but driving on a out-of-state vehicle tag [unless you are military]. You don't want a ticket for 'Failure to pay taxes due the state'.

FYI: the form http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA Change Form.pdf

Latest posts

Top Bottom