Free Float Quad Rails Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a new rifle and want to put a free float quad rail on it. My questions are:

1) Are the more expensive quad rails worth the money or does it really not make a difference. I've looked online and can get a UTG free float rail for $80 and then the jump way up in price. Is a Midwest Industris really worth the extra $100 over a UTG and is a Daniel Defense worth the extra $100 or so over a Midwest Industries?

2) How hard is it to install a free float system on a rifle that currently has the normal A2 handguards?

3) What tools do I need?

Thanks in advance for your help!

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a new rifle and want to put a free float quad rail on it. My questions are:

1) Are the more expensive quad rails worth the money or does it really not make a difference. I've looked online and can get a UTG free float rail for $80 and then the jump way up in price. Is a Midwest Industris really worth the extra $100 over a UTG and is a Daniel Defense worth the extra $100 or so over a Midwest Industries?
Ever heard the phrase "you get what you pay for"? That about sums it up.

2) How hard is it to install a free float system on a rifle that currently has the normal A2 handguards?
Not hard if you have the tools.

3) What tools do I need?
Punch set. Barrel wrench. Torque wrench.

You're welcome

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

3) What tools do I need?

What do you intend to do with this gun?

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you get the MI 2pc FF rails all you have to do is remove the stock hand guards. Then take a dremel tool to the delta ring and cut 2 slits in it and it pops off. Then use a pair of pliers on the spring and twist/ pull it off and install the new rails.

I have these on mine and have no complaints at all. love em but i would like to have a set of DD omega 7.0's some day on a high end ar in the future but these work great for me and there isnt any movement at all even with a fore grip being used.

heres a pic of mine with xtm covers on but i have taken these off a couple days ago kinda like the look of it better and it fits my hand better.

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c189_driftmaster04_AR15004_1.jpg

got these at vtsupply.com for $160

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you intend to do with this gun?

I ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper with a 19.5 barrel and the only one I could find without waiting for 3 months was one without the free float handgaurds. I plan on using it for hog hunting, target shooting and just to have for fun.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you get the MI 2pc FF rails all you have to do is remove the stock hand guards. Then take a dremel tool to the delta ring and cut 2 slits in it and it pops off. Then use a pair of pliers on the spring and twist/ pull it off and install the new rails.

I have these on mine and have no complaints at all. love em but i would like to have a set of DD omega 7.0's some day on a high end ar in the future but these work great for me and there isnt any movement at all even with a fore grip being used.

heres a pic of mine with xtm covers on but i have taken these off a couple days ago kinda like the look of it better and it fits my hand better.

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c189_driftmaster04_AR15004_1.jpg

got these at vtsupply.com for $160

That sounds like it would be easiest way to go without having to buy any special tools and I like the way they look on your rifle.

Thanks for the info.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or, you can pony up for a Daniel Defense Omega rail set. All that's required is to pop off the old handguards, pop the Omega on, apply 4 self-locking screws, adjust the 4 tension screws and voilà, you have a 4 rail free float handguard that's rock solid and probably weighs half of what a UTG rail set does.

You get what you pay for definitely applies here.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper with a 19.5 barrel and the only one I could find without waiting for 3 months was one without the free float handgaurds. I plan on using it for hog hunting, target shooting and just to have for fun.
Why do you feel you need a quad rail then? All those rails are pretty meaningless on anything other than a tactical rifle. You'd probably be better served with a free float tube.

I've gradually sold off all my quad rails simply because the rails aren't needed.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you feel you need a quad rail then? All those rails are pretty meaningless on anything other than a tactical rifle. You'd probably be better served with a free float tube.

I've gradually sold off all my quad rails simply because the rails aren't needed.

This.

I have a quad-rail on both mine, so I can't really speak that loudly, but if I had a sweet setup with 6.5Gr and damn near a 20" barrel (I presume its a heavy barrel), then I'd just go for a free floating tube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom