Free Float Quad Rails Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have actually ran a few thousand rounds through various high points and haven't had a single problem. the would be a great truck gun since they're cheap, and work well for knocking out a window in case you drive off into a lake

lol why not shoot out the window?

either way i think most of the $100+ FF rails are fine for whatever, seems like the higher end ones are just gonna weigh less and have a slightly better finish on them. as long as it serves the intended purpose you cant go wrong.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you feel you need a quad rail then? All those rails are pretty meaningless on anything other than a tactical rifle. You'd probably be better served with a free float tube.

I've gradually sold off all my quad rails simply because the rails aren't needed.

Point taken... I would probably be better off with a simple free float tube but I like the look and functionality of having a quad rail. However, at the present moment the only thing I expect to put on it is a bipod. So that may be the way to go if I can contact the place I ordered the upper from and have the free float tube installed.

As far as the Daniel Defense, with the money I'm having to spend on buying the lower, upper, optics, reloading equipment and components, I'm a little strapped for cash and can't spend the extra money for it.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked at Vltor?

Boosh!

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_P4291266.jpg

He has now...

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have the UTG non-free float, and it serves it's purpose, but makes my AR feel like it has a brick on the end of it. i would highly recommend the UTG if you plan on wacking something over the head.

Is the UTG really that much heavier?

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boosh!

He has now...

mmchmabers06...that's a nice looking rifle. Looks like you just screw in the rails you want to use? How much does something like that rail run?

I forgot to add, the upper I ordered is a standard barrel and I'm using a spikes tatical lower with a magpul prs stock, so the quad rail may help balance out the rifle since the stock is kinda of heavy...don't know for sure, I'm still half way new at this and just assuming.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boosh!

He has now...

I've always wanted to know - how heavy is that thing? Also, what is the balance like on it - I've heard that they balance well, but I've never fired an AR with a CASV on it.

Oh - and as for the more expensive rails being only lighter, I don't know if I'd agree with that. I've seen more than a few rails under $100 come loose, begin to wiggle, strip screws because of thinner or weaker material used, or line-up incorrectly (badly noticeable at muzzle end), or two screw-holes just not line-up at all. I would say that the $100-$200 sets are better, but no where as secure, rugged, or impervious to damage from taking apart and putting back together as the better sets that happen to cost more.

That's not to say that a cheaper set (in my opinion, as long as its $100+ from what I've been able to tell by reviews, personal experience, and talking to folks who own various budget rails) won't work for the average AR owner, but I wouldn't say that they are as good as the high-end systems, just heavier.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mmchmabers06...that's a nice looking rifle. Looks like you just screw in the rails you want to use? How much does something like that rail run?

I forgot to add, the upper I ordered is a standard barrel and I'm using a spikes tatical lower with a magpul prs stock, so the quad rail may help balance out the rifle since the stock is kinda of heavy...don't know for sure, I'm still half way new at this and just assuming.

It uses the factory barrel nut, so there is no barrel removal necessary. The bottom part of the rail locks in with a couple of tabs and can be removed in about 2 seconds. It comes with various lengths of rail segments and you can place them on the top, sides, or bottom, or 45 degree offset on the right/left, which is ideal for a light. They are approx. $250.

I've always wanted to know - how heavy is that thing? Also, what is the balance like on it - I've heard that they balance well, but I've never fired an AR with a CASV on it.

It's made of out of aluminum except for the mounting hardware (i.e.: the part over the upper). The carbine length rail is 14.3 oz. For comparison, the DD Omega weighs 8 oz. It does balance well. The weight doesn't bother me unless I have my a Zoom dot and light mounted...at that point it should be expected.

At the end of the day I like it because of the flexibility with the rails, the fact that it's dead sexy, and the easy of installation.

Like concrete. They are very heavy.

Yeah. The UTG rail weighs like 13 oz. They make your gun way front heavy.

I had one when I was being a cheap bastard. They really suck. The Troy MRF DI is a HUGE upgrade for $60 more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom