Free floating barell question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie_s_72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to ARs and have a question. I have a mil spec Stag Model 3. I know it doesn't have a floating barell but what do I have to do to make it that way????? Is it a waste of money?

Reaction score
Go shoot it. Try many different ammo types and/or handloads. Wring it out. Find the most accurate load. If the accuracy achieved is sufficient for YOU, given YOUR purposes for the rifle, then yes, free-floating will be a waste of money.

If it's not sufficiently accurate, then no, it MAY be not be a waste of money - it may or may not be worth it to get a FF handguard (i.e. it may or may not enhance accuracy some or even a lot, but the chances are good that it will enhance accuracy at least a little bit.)

guns_not_groceries

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Go shoot it. Try many different ammo types and/or handloads. Wring it out. Find the most accurate load. If the accuracy achieved is sufficient for YOU, given YOUR purposes for the rifle, then yes, free-floating will be a waste of money.

If it's not sufficiently accurate, then no, it MAY be not be a waste of money - it may or may not be worth it to get a FF handguard (i.e. it may or may not enhance accuracy some or even a lot, but the chances are good that it will enhance accuracy at least a little bit.)

+1. Good suggestions.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to ARs and have a question. I have a mil spec Stag Model 3. I know it doesn't have a floating barell but what do I have to do to make it that way????? Is it a waste of money?

What do you mean by "Mil-Spec"? If its Stag's M4 clone (with plastic handguards), then it (being a Stag), should be more than accurate for shooting with irons, or even optics out to 100-200yds.

If you want to hang something off of the handguards, then a free-floating quad-rail is about as cheap as a non-free floating one of the same quality, so there's no reason not to.

Depending on the handguards, length you want, and your carbine/rifle, you'll have a few choices as to how to put one on (should you feel like you need to).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything that touches the barrel affects accuracy to some degree - is that enough to worry about? Depends on what you're doing with it and what you expect from it.

Uber-high quality barrels will achieve sub-MOA accuracy out to 500yds with no problems - if your barrel does this, then mounting something to the barrel that applies stress (like a bipod if you're preloading it properly) will definitely be noticeable at 200+yds, but if you're just shooting at less than 100yds with a MOA barrel, then I doubt you'll ever notice.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pressure will affect POI, but as far as accuracy it can go either way - I've seen plenty of rifles (long skinny barreled ones) that HATE free float. On the other hand, if you already have a gas port, sight and flash hider hanging off the barrel - stabilizing that to the receiver might be a good idea - welp, I'm just speculating here.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pressure will affect POI, but as far as accuracy it can go either way - I've seen plenty of rifles (long skinny barreled ones) that HATE free float. On the other hand, if you already have a gas port, sight and flash hider hanging off the barrel - stabilizing that to the receiver might be a good idea - welp, I'm just speculating here.

Well - accuracy is affected if your POI isn't consistently changing. A bipod hanging off of the barrel or handguards that are touching the barrel will cause different POI shifts depending on how much you're pre-loading it or how much weight you're putting on the gun (or how stable the ground is under it).

That's a good point though - I had a skinny barrel Remington 700 that shot like crap when I put it into a free-floating stock (it shot slightly better as long as I wasn't on a bipod with it).

Jamie_s_72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done my homework and for now I'm going to stick with what I have. I do have a quad rail on mine so other than that and a gas block I don't anything else hanging off the barell. I took to the range and shot some 55 grain. At 100 yds my group is about the size of a 50 cent piece, 200 yds about 3 inches. I am using a red dot with a magnifier. I think with more range time I should be able to tighten up some. Thanks for all your help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom