Fried chicken,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you make your fried chicken?

I've never tried the buttermilk method mentioned above but I think I will next time.

As far as making spicy fried chicken goes, I would add ground red pepper or cayenne pepper to my flour along with salt, black pepper, and whatever else you like or you could sprinkle it on the chicken before you coat it in the flour.
There is an old saying, " necessity is the mother of invention!" People in prosperous countries don't have to cook, although I agree they are missing some really great meals! There is another old saying, Home cooking will return when people have to, and as high as eating out is getting, that won't be very long! I just made that one up, if there is anything Americans are good at, it is adapting as needed, to solve the problem! I just learned something lately, America, during WW2 produced more war material, of every type, than ALL OTHER NATIONS INVOLVED, ON EVERY SIDE, COMBINED! IS THAT AMAZING OR WHAT?

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I perfected a fried chicken recipe while doing hard time as War Criminal #42 while sitting in my concrete cell with a burlap bag over my head.

Developing the recipe kept me sane while listening to Boots, boots, boots…I’ve never actually made that recipe but one of these days.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We treat it like a game in our house to pick a meal we enjoy going out to eat, and then we build the shopping list. Then my wife, son (with our help), or I will cook it. We then compare how much better it tastes at home and how much money was saved versus the amount of food we ended up with.

My daughter is still hung up on certain foods and demands they taste the same every time, but she is only 7 so we have time to work that out. My son, on the other hand, gets really interested when we can do ribs or pork loin and have food for all week and still save on average $10-20 compared to what a single meal would cost us eating out.

For fried chicken, I do it one of two ways. First is buttermilk overnight (if I dont have buttermilk, adding 1T of white vinegar per cup of whole milk does the trick) or I will soak it in pickle juice overnight. We save the juice off a jar of Claussen pickles from the deli section and use that for pork or chicken and it comes out great.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks are too lazy to cook for themselves anymore. My granddaughter says I make the best fried chicken ever. She says her mom doesn’t even know how to cut a whole chicken into pieces. So last week she asked if I’d show her how it was done. Good to see at least 1 person in the younger generation taking an interest in the lost art of home cooking.

I've heard that. Of course I've also heard that both women and men are working outside the home, that may play a part in the reduction in home cooking.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard that. Of course I've also heard that both women and men are working outside the home, that may play a part in the reduction in home cooking.
Both my parents worked outside the home. Yet somehow my mom managed to whip up a home cooked meal every evening. My dad mowed our yard, did home repairs and coached my brothers little league football team. Once a month they took us out to eat at Glenn’s Hickory Inn. Sadly I was tasked with being the remote control for the TV and the antenna tuner. Thankfully there were only four channels, 4,5,9 & 13.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both my parents worked outside the home. Yet somehow my mom managed to whip up a home cooked meal every evening. My dad mowed our yard, did home repairs and coached my brothers little league football team. Once a month they took us out to eat at Glenn’s Hickory Inn. Sadly I was tasked with being the remote control for the TV and the antenna tuner. Thankfully there were only four channels, 4,5,9 & 13.

That's good. I know between my work and my wife's we eat out as much as we do in. When our kids were home, our schedules were sort of staggered so we ate at home for the most part. From shift work at the glass plant, then on straight days, but the wife working all kinds of crazy hours as a nurse/CRNA, we'd rather spend our time together, not toiling in the kitchen. (plus it's hard for her not to cook enough for an army!)

What I don't get is folks that get takeout from fast food or sub-par places. The price of junk food is just as high as a real meal from a restaurant. I think folks just get addicted to fat, salt and sugar.

OldDad

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I do most of our cooking (she does the yard work,) but I've never successfully cooked fried chicken. She does that quite well.

I'd like to eat at Eischens, fried chicken and a Shiner. Tonight! Too far from Enid for tonight

Latest posts

Top Bottom