Frog Gigging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm betting the drought and dry ponds had a lot to do with the bullfrog population.

Well, I sure hope you guys are right but I'm not so sure..Dennis, it's actually been 7 years since you and I went frogging..I found the pictures..anyway the ponds you and I hunted didn't have any really big frogs that year and have zero frogs now..None of these ponds have gone dry..There are about 4 ponds close enough to my house that I can set on the patio at night and listen to them sound off. I haven't heard a bull frog in several years and once again, none of these have gone dry..A game ranger from Kay county once told me that they were thinking a virus had hit the frogs but I haven't heard any more about that on weather it has been confirmed or not. Anyway, all I'm saying is in my neck of the woods the drought has been on for about 4 years but the frogs disappeared several years before that. Just my opinion and observation..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very possible on the virus. Lake ponca hasn't been dry either, and since this thread started, don't recall seeing any frogs. I'm typically in the boat though. I'll take a spotlight out there some evening and see if I can spot any eyes.
Our local food warehouse used to carry frozen frog legs from China.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some my buddies kids got the other day. They used a 22.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_08_04_2827c595eb61d2aea013f1ed08d34f2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to hit some Osage county ponds as a kid.....great fun.
I think there are more gray herons and white egrets now, they'll clean a pond smooth out of frogs. :(

They will clean the Koi from the ornamental garden pond too. After the third restocking, and getting cleaned out, just pulled the liner and filled it in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom