From the mind of John Farnam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having trained with John some, I can reiterate what Mike said, Ask him.
On the grip adapters issue I have seen on more than one occasion a grip adapter for a magazine ( like the one that makes the XD compact grip to a full size grip) slide down the mag and make it unusable!! the bad part was the other two mags the lady was running did the same thing at the same time, thus "taking her gun out of the fight" not to mention the loss of training time for her wile the instructors helping John had to "fix" her mags.

John will not disallow any gun just because he doe's not like it, only if he has seen a safety reason for something in the past.

And one thing about John he uses different "stuff" all the time, he really try's to keep up with what is on the market.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having trained with John some, I can reiterate what Mike said, Ask him.
On the grip adapters issue I have seen on more than one occasion a grip adapter for a magazine ( like the one that makes the XD compact grip to a full size grip) slide down the mag and make it unusable!! the bad part was the other two mags the lady was running did the same thing at the same time, thus "taking her gun out of the fight" not to mention the loss of training time for her wile the instructors helping John had to "fix" her mags.

John will not disallow any gun just because he doe's not like it, only if he has seen a safety reason for something in the past.

And one thing about John he uses different "stuff" all the time, he really try's to keep up with what is on the market.

I was speaking of grip adaptors for revolvers. It seemed strange to me that Farnam 'might not permit' them for 'safety' reasons, since NYPD permitted their use on revolvers (I have an old Colt Official Police from NYPD that came with a Pachmayr grip adaptor) and the FBI very strongly encouraged them when the primary FBI carry gun was the 3" Model 13.
I have always carried them on my Model 681 and my model 65 RB.

In any event, I checked his website and they are no longer on the verboten list, so it is largely academic.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought this was "relative"

13 Aug 09

Winners and Losers:

I have a copy of a painting, commissioned years ago by Las Vegas tycoon
Steve Wynn, called "Winners and Losers." It depicts a smokey old gambling
hall filled with poker players. Some are obviously fearful and frustrated.
Others are cheerful and confident. It is a masterpiece!

In our line of work, we could probably teach chimpanzees how to operate a
pistol, or play poker for that matter, but they still wouldn't have a clue
with regard to how either activity properly fits into their lives.

Among our human students, we typically have "nice" people who are
personally honest and generally successful in our civilization, but many still
display what we call "loser-traits" which will predictably sabotage an
otherwise sincere effort to master our Art.

Winners are unafraid! They spend their time finding a way to win, rather
than looking for an excuse to lose. Winners fear neither victory nor
failure.

Losers are deathly afraid of both!

Yes, losers are afraid! Fear ever haunts the base of their being and
prevents them from ever walking upright, confidently, proudly.

Losers mumble! They don't speak clearly, nor with conviction. They can'
t even seem to speak in complete sentences, because their thought processes
are confused and perverse. They are afraid of truth, afraid of reality in
all forms. They doubt their ability to handle life, so they hide their
faces from the light of day.

Losers are bitter and resentful! They are angry with everyone. They can'
t handle correction. They savagely defend their every mistake, every
blunder, every crime like a lioness her young! Their elaborate
rationalizations
are sadly comical.

Losers are afraid of growing up! They prefer to be "taken care of."
Accepting full, personal responsibility for anything is unthinkable.

Losers snivel, whine, and make excuses! They take personal responsibility
for nothing, always blaming others and "bad luck" for every gloomy hand
they're dealt.

Losers surround themselves with enablers and coddlers who never challenge
them! Losers associate only with other losers!

Losers are chronically unproductive! They run their mouths continuously,
but habitually shun productive work.

Losers know right from wrong, but conduct their lives as if they didn't!
They're into "situation ethics," offering up endless excuses for lying and
other misdeeds.

Most of all, losers are ashamed, and should be! They cheerlessly watch
themselves missing out on all the best life has to offer, but personal vanity
and cowardice ever prevent them from sincerely repenting, and then boldly
claiming their own magnificence.

As Instructors, these loser traits, some of which, to some degree, are
displayed by nearly everyone, are our constant adversary.

Again, merely teaching a set of mechanical skills is just the beginning,
and indeed, almost a side-show!

/John

OKC_45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to work for a nationwide chain electronics retailer which shall remain nameless (rhymes with Circus Sit-T) ;0)

Anyway, when the PlayStation 2 was brand new on the market, the company's "planogram" called for the gaming consoles to be stacked at an endcap in a particular part of the store. Because of the way our store was designed (wasn't built by the company, but was a building they leased) this stack of $400 (at the time) gaming consoles was literally 20 ft. from the emergency exit at the back of our store.

As you've probably guessed by now, some local teenagers figured out these were pretty easy to steal - company policy wouldn't allow employees to stop anyone in the act of stealing; we could only ask them if they needed someone to ring up the sale, and if they walked out the door we were not to follow. These kids would just walk in, grab a box and walk out the back door nonchalantly with a host of employees following them asking if they could help them/ring them up - pretty comical actually! Management tried to get corporate to allow us to move the gaming consoles to a 'safer' part of the store to no avail. After all, all the stores have to look the same and have product in exactly the same place.

Finally, one day, after having 10 consoles stolen in a single afternoon an assistant manager got fed up and chased three teens who came in together, each grabbed a console, and took off out the back door. He caught one of them and held him 'till the police arrived. The other two got away, but dropped the merchandise. He was promptly fired the next day and our entire store was required to got through training on why we couldn't do that because of company liability to the employees AND the bad guys! (apparently they could have been sued had one of the bad guys been hit by a car or twisted his ankle in the chase).

Needless to say, a week later the endcap was still there - but now the boxes were empty. You had to take the empty box to the customer service desk to get the real thing.

Pretty crazy world we live in!

Latest posts

Top Bottom