Froze up???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah i had 'em dripping hot/cold all faucets. didn't have tubs dripping, but to be honest i don't think i've ever done that.

in the attic to confirm, they ran the pex lines just like....thru the attic. just laid up there. i'm not sure how they thought they wouldn't freeze, i have absolutely no way of regulating the temperature of that attic. my space heater is maxed out, i threw a breaker trying to run another one up there, switched to space heater and one 30' heater cable.

the pex is insulated with wrap around foam except for the T fittings and random sections of pipe. after a few hours of the heater cable working, i can feel the pipe itself is much more malleable and there's a trickle of hot water coming.

but yeah, i mean it could be like.....conceivably months before we get consistent temps ABOVE freezing so....this isn't going to fly.

i could try more than just a drip next time, but yeah everything i'm reading suggest WHAT DO YA KNOW when they replaced the hot waters line they did not follow code.

from what i can gather, if running pex thru an unconditioned space, it must be not just insulated, but ran UNDER the ceiling insulation. this lets the pex get more ambient radiant heat from the house and drywall, rather than....just hanging out in the attic where it would without a doubt freeze when the temps are single digits with negative windchill AND YOU CAN FEEL THE BREEZE INSIDE THE ATTIC.

like there's no way. my pex lines are froze because of the routing of the lines, which were done in the middle of summer. has nothing to do with faucets dripping.
Lucky for you, the pex lines probably won't burst and flood the house. We are copper so dripping is a must.
Never had an issue in 32 years so what we are doing is working.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are good in Walters. No power or water problems.

Haven't been out, at all. Barely open door to put dogs out. I can hardly breath. The dogs barely get off porch and run back to the door. Jack stands at my chair and barks. Wanting me to sit down and get his blanket.

Cows are in the barn. Plenty of water and hay.

No need to get out, not getting out. We will be ok.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dripping is for the birds. Water is cheap comparatively. I make sure mine is a full drizzle on hot water, then doubles the stream with the cold. Won’t turn them off until prob sunday

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Lucky for you, the pex lines probably won't burst and flood the house. We are copper so dripping is a must.
Never had an issue in 32 years so what we are doing is working.
yeah never had a problem before.....today. they replaced the lines this summer, before that we had actual pipes.

first winter, hell first real cold day so....not a good sign lol. like i said, they just....laid the lines and wrapped them, but it's not much different than if they were just outside with that same insulation around them, it just ain't gonna be enough.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah never had a problem before.....today. they replaced the lines this summer, before that we had actual pipes.

first winter, hell first real cold day so....not a good sign lol. like i said, they just....laid the lines and wrapped them, but it's not much different than if they were just outside with that same insulation around them, it just ain't gonna be enough.
You could buy some big tarps and lay them over the lines in the attic. That will probably do the trick.

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to be at work at 4am, but all was good when I left the house at 3. We did some old school insulation in the house. Blankets and bed sheets over doors and windows
20221222_110911.jpg

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is, but there's really no way to drain the water feature, so pool stays open year round. The ice will melt as it warm up again. Hopefully only a couple days. This was the big freeze, and yes it was expensive. 😟

I leave mine running in the winter also. Days like this are about the only time I hate having a pool!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been to -14 in this place before with no issues.. No water left dripping either. When going down to -14, I checked the water temps furthest from the well in the home a few times over night. The water got to 36* and held steady at that. Last night I checked temps of the water and it was 42* when it was 4*. No water left running.

Latest posts

Top Bottom