Froze up???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our weenie dog does the opposite. She wants to go pee, I carry her outside and put her in a relatively snow free spot, and the race is on to get back inside. The trick is to put her far enough away from the house that she has to pee before getting to the door.
That's funny, I can remember putting the dogs out and the race was on to see if I could get back int he house before they beat me in, I usually won-sometimes with a bit of pushing and shoving them.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i definitely could, but any money, effort, and time spent are lost returns. ie, i have no incentive.
there *is* insulation over the pex, i guess just not enough lol. i just figure in the middle of summer when it was likely 110 f up there they figured it would be fine, i dunno.

getting the pex closer to the ceiling would be ideal. i've googled around to see other methods and some even drill holes into the cross beams to run the pex thru, that way it can go under the ceiling insulation.

i suppose i could get a roll and just roll it over it, that's waaaay less work than i've already done that's fer sure. but using my materials to make stuff for someone else's house that they should be upkeeping? not a chance lol, let it freeze, burst, and flood my stuff is protected. costly leak for someone (like last time, you'd THINK they would learn?)
Partially block the larger vents and put cheap tarps over the pex. That will do it.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I got to replace the hot line going to washing machine (north wall) it froze and cracked

Luckily I’m a handyman and can fix it myself right away. Felt nice still getting a hot shower tonight!

That being said I can’t wait to remodel this house and fix many of its fatal flaws. We have plumbing issues too many winters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I leave mine running in the winter also. Days like this are about the only time I hate having a pool!
We pump the level about a foot below the skimmers and put the cover over it. Never had an issue since we installed it in the 90's. Drain the pumps and filter.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie dokie in MWC, but I feel sorry for some of those folks that sold their homes when prices were sky-high and decided to buy an RV with the proceeds and go full time. I'll bet some of them are frozen tight.
No, most of them use antifreeze in the water pipes. Father in law has a motor home. He keeps it up and it’s ready to go right now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie dokie in MWC, but I feel sorry for some of those folks that sold their homes when prices were sky-high and decided to buy an RV with the proceeds and go full time. I'll bet some of them are frozen tight.
Actually, most modern RV's that are rated residential like ours are well equipped to take just about any temperature that comes around. All tanks for fresh water, waste water or sewer have heaters. The storage areas underneath are all connected to the central heat system so they are also heated.
Hot water is either gas or electric heated.
We have a 5th wheel. What I've seen is that the big class A busses do not protect their water system cabinets with the central heat system like we have. Don't understand why.
We camped at Pagosa springs Co one fall when it fell below freezing for a week. Several of the Class A's froze up and we helped them get thawed out. Hair dryers work great without too much heat to melt the plastic like a heat gun can do.
Those that have gone through one cold spell learn to put a small heater in the cabinet and life is good from then on.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moms froze up last night. Luckily my sister got the call. Poor lady seems to keep having everything little break since dad died in July.

A home is a continual job! Sorry to hear about your Dad, now you’re the repair man in more ways than just the home! Hang in there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, most of them use antifreeze in the water pipes. Father in law has a motor home. He keeps it up and it’s ready to go right now.

They don't do the anti-freeze if they are living in the RV full time. With our full time RV it is as Dennis described in that the furnace heats the underbelly and prevents things from freezing. If it gets down to zero degrees, we have one water line (water manifold to kitchen sink) that is hot that will freeze up, but all the rest are fine. Now, a couple of years ago, we had -16 degree temps and the outside supply hoses froze up and we were without water.

This last cold front saw us get down to about 5 degrees and the underbelly only got down to about 38 degrees. We were fine inside although it did get the inside down to 64 degrees. I turned on supplemental electric heat about 5:30 am and warmed us back up to 72 degrees.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear that! We have chickens, ducks, quail, and lambs right now. The chores in winter are zero fun! Keeping everyone watered is a pain in the neck.
18 goats 11 chickens 4 dogs. I have worked at making this kind of weather tolerable. All have freeze protected water by one means or another. I Make a trip to fill their bellies with a little extra food twice a day. About a 10 minute endeavor. All is good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom