Gaddafi, Kadafi, Gadhafi, Qaddafi...huh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy really came into the limelight around the late 60's. I was young enough then to not really know anything about him until the early '80s. One thing I have noticed is that, throughout all of these past decades, the media can't figure out how to spell his name.

You'd think the high quality ;) journalists we have in the world could at least find out how to spell this guy's name.

Does anybody know the proper spelling? This has bugged me for over 20yrs now. I just stopped thinking about it, because he disappeared for a while until recently. The media already has a reputation as nothing more than a hyped up drama generator, but I've felt it's always made them look stupid when each news source spells a person's name differently. It shouldn't be that hard for them to check their facts. oops...sorry...that's assuming they care about facts.

Just my morning rant after reading the news. I'm going to go get another cup of non-Starbucks coffee. :)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The discrepancy in spelling is due to trying to spell his name in a way that Westerners can understand. Some try to keep it closer to its original spelling.

This is much like Usama vs Osama.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often wondered if that was the case, and it most likely is. I just wish they'd decide on one spelling and stick with it. Or just spell it in its original form and let us deal with it. I think people could handle it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just spell it in its original form and let us deal with it.

The "original form" is معمر القذافي. Transliteration from different character sets is always a challenge, and is usually done phonetically; throw in the fact that Arabic uses some different sounds than English, and you have to take your best guess at spelling.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "original form" is معمر القذافي. Transliteration from different character sets is always a challenge, and is usually done phonetically; throw in the fact that Arabic uses some different sounds than English, and you have to take your best guess at spelling.

True. Original form isn't really the proper term. I guess it should be original form of their translation. All the time I was in the middle east, every arabic sign I saw had the english translation on it (not translated by us, but by them). All of the arabic military we worked with had their names in english as well, so they do have their official translated version.

It's not really important, it's just something that's bugged me the whole time. The other foreign leaders (arabic, asian, etc) that have non-english letters in their name still have consistent english translations. When we read about the Chinese leaders, it's not printed in characters, but in english; and it's not spelled differently each time. Iran, Saudi, the others all have english translated names that the media doesn't seem to have a problem with. It's just strange to me that Gaddafi (or whatever it is) seems to be so troublesome to get correct or at least consistent.

Then again, it could just be an ongoing joke the media started years ago.
:anyone:

Toujours Pret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't understand how the guy is in charge of the country and it's military, yet he has never made General. Get passed over for promotion a few times in the US Army and you're out.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't understand how the guy is in charge of the country and it's military, yet he has never made General. Get passed over for promotion a few times in the US Army and you're out.

The way I remember it he was a fast mover in their army thanks to his education in European military schools. After he kicked the king and the US base out I think he remained colonel for political reasons, not to show he is a glory hound or power grabber as he gabbed all the power.
If it's Tuesday it must be Libya. It seems that in the last few decades we are constantly at war with one Muslim group or another. I question the notion that this is the best for the US, that we must keep doing it in perpetuity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom