Garage Door Springs/Inflation/Much suckage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Next Door Neighbor App had a lady on it today complaining that her A/C went out and she was quoted $20,000 to replace the unit. It seems to me that a couple of years ago some company was advertising on TV $4,995.00 for a complete unit. I am of the belief that there are a lot of companies that are taking advantage of the consumer by using Covid and now inflation to upcharge what should be a reasonable fee. I could be wrong but being a little cynical, I know that businesses are out there to make money, some anyway they can. So if my house needs painting, I can accept that paint has gone up a bit but why would the painter charge me more for his labor than a year ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been wrong before and I've learned from my mistakes.
Why would he charge more for labor? Because the grocery store charges more, the gas station charges more, the (fill in the blank) charges more. It's called inflation.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would he charge more for labor? Because the grocery store charges more, the gas station charges more, the (fill in the blank) charges more. It's called inflation.
But does the wages of the homeowner go up as well? Did your salary go up? Some things in life aren't quite fair but that's the way life is sometimes.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this good luck or bad luck? I was talking to the garage door repairman as he was finishing up replacing a spring on one of my garage doors. While we were talking, we heard a loud "ping". It was the spring breaking on the other overhead door. It saved me a service call fee.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Next Door Neighbor App had a lady on it today complaining that her A/C went out and she was quoted $20,000 to replace the unit. It seems to me that a couple of years ago some company was advertising on TV $4,995.00 for a complete unit. I am of the belief that there are a lot of companies that are taking advantage of the consumer by using Covid and now inflation to upcharge what should be a reasonable fee. I could be wrong but being a little cynical, I know that businesses are out there to make money, some anyway they can. So if my house needs painting, I can accept that paint has gone up a bit but why would the painter charge me more for his labor than a year ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been wrong before and I've learned from my mistakes.
I think you’re right about price gouging. However the price of everything is going through the roof including supplies and available laborers are short. It’s not just the hourly rate of an owner.
The FIL lawn guy said he cannot find help and when he does. They work for a week and quit.
I’d like to see the pricing and availability of an HVAC system. Look at the price of 410A. A couple years ago, A 25 lbs tank was $120, today it’s $485 today, at least on eBay.

I am not defending HVAC techs. I was told by an owner that went from being an accountant to owning a HVAC company. He said when he lost his accounting job he looked around to find a hands on tech job. He said the HVAC guys all drove new vehicles while the other techs for the other crafts drove old vehicles.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was just talking about HVAC with the FIL last night. He mentioned that at some companies HVAC techs earn a commission, if they can convince you that you need a new system rather than repair your old one.
Most companies are like that now. There's one veteran run one in okc that I know isn't, but I can't recall the name.
There's not too much to an HVAC system. If you can fix your car you can probably fix your HVAC system. I've been keeping my 1970s model RUUD running for the last 20 years. The electronics on newer systems make it more difficult, and zoned systems, but if some guy off the internet can fix it, you probably can too. Just read up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom