Gas cans and Gas Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
fuel jug.jpg

That's part of the reason we use the "Race fuel" type jugs with the hoses attached directly to the caps. Not for everyone, but it works for us. We have a couple with caps and i couple with shut off valves.

I DO have a fer regular type gas cans, but i don't care for them much after using the other type.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 34938

That's part of the reason we use the "Race fuel" type jugs with the hoses attached directly to the caps. Not for everyone, but it works for us. We have a couple with caps and i couple with shut off valves.

I DO have a fer regular type gas cans, but i don't care for them much after using the other type.
Yep those cans are the shiznit. You can usually find them locally too.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short term storage for lawn equipment and so forth I use a couple if the Blitz 5 gallon cans and they work great. Long term storage or travel I have four of the Scepter 5 gallon green military petrol cans with Scepter hard and flex nozzles. They are the best I've ever used but unfortunately they are no longer sold to the public last I checked. I have several of their 5 gallon water cans and they are awesome as well.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have started putting up 20-30 gallons for the winter season. As the weather gets better, I use it to refill the cars and thus rotate my stock.

In the spring I'll put up another 20-30 gallons and rotate it in the fall.

BTW, the non-CARB conversion makes this task MUCH easier.

Dave

I have 60 gallons put up. Why you ask. I lived in Baghdad, Iraq from 04-05. This country has more oil than water, yet there were 12 months in the 12 that I was there that the locals had to wait in line for gas. The refinery was down and they imported their gasoline. Then the Army was rationing gas for about a month and we walked. Ever since then, I store 60 gallons. I rotate 20 gallons a month and use a super siphon hose and some 5 gallon buckets as a stand. It takes 1 minute and 38 seconds for a 5 gallon can to empty.

I never worry about being out of electricity during natural events with my generator. At one point during the Ice Storm of 07, QT was out of gas. I never worry about if the balloon goes up will I have enough gas for my family to make it to the farm.

preparednessadvice.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_06_siphon2_300x290.jpg

For the question about above ground tanks. 6 months is about as far as normal production gasoline will last without additives.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 60 gallons put up. Why you ask. I lived in Baghdad, Iraq from 04-05. This country has more oil than water, yet there were 12 months in the 12 that I was there that the locals had to wait in line for gas. The refinery was down and they imported their gasoline. Then the Army was rationing gas for about a month and we walked. Ever since then, I store 60 gallons. I rotate 20 gallons a month and use a super siphon hose and some 5 gallon buckets as a stand. It takes 1 minute and 38 seconds for a 5 gallon can to empty. I never worry about being out of electricity during natural events with my generator. At one point during the Ice Storm of 07, QT was out of gas. I never worry about if the balloon goes up will I have enough gas for my family to make it to the farm. For the question about above ground tanks. 6 months is about as far as normal production gasoline will last without additives.

Super Siphons are cool. How do you store your 60 gallons?

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
use a super siphon hose
Is that the one where you drop the brass end into the tank, then pull it up and let it sink to start the siphoning? I'd seen them on Amazon, but wasn't sure how well they work.

My dad used to keep his "Oklahoma credit card" (a length of cut-off garden hose and a rag) behind the seat of his truck for when he needed to fill the tractor. He'd stick the hose into the tank far enough to get into the gas, then use the rag and his hand to seal the filler neck so he could blow into the hose and have the air pressure start the siphoning.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what we do too, rotate ours out about every month or so. I put pri G in mine just in case.

I just HAVE to make sure i go fill'm back up immediately so i don't forget.

They have Those siphon hoses at lowes and i think maybe harbor freight too. We use them for siphoning out of the race gas drums. They work great.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 60 gallons put up. Why you ask. I lived in Baghdad, Iraq from 04-05. This country has more oil than water, yet there were 12 months in the 12 that I was there that the locals had to wait in line for gas. The refinery was down and they imported their gasoline. Then the Army was rationing gas for about a month and we walked. Ever since then, I store 60 gallons. I rotate 20 gallons a month and use a super siphon hose and some 5 gallon buckets as a stand. It takes 1 minute and 38 seconds for a 5 gallon can to empty.

I never worry about being out of electricity during natural events with my generator. At one point during the Ice Storm of 07, QT was out of gas. I never worry about if the balloon goes up will I have enough gas for my family to make it to the farm.

preparednessadvice.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_06_siphon2_300x290.jpg

For the question about above ground tanks. 6 months is about as far as normal production gasoline will last without additives.

Do you keep this in a storage building away from your house?

Latest posts

Top Bottom