Gas ltrimmers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 25 year old Homelite 2-stroke that still runs great. Picked it up at a garage sale for $5 because they couldn't get it running. Finally had to replace the tank (my fault) and the fuel lines last year. I went to O-Reiley's and bought some off the spool. I bought the tank online from Partstree.com.
I also have a 7 year old Ryobi that I bought for the adapter ends. I have an edger, tri-blade brush cutter, and extended chainsaw that I use on it, as well as the string cutter.
Worst thing I did to them was hang them from the rafters. I finally built a shelf to set them on and that keeps the fuel from leaking.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what you are doing I would just get another cheap one. No more than you use it a Stihl may give you fits also. They only have a two year warranty after that runs out it will cost you a hundred dollars to have it looked at.

I have a Stihl handheld blower I bought new. The OM Manual said when you put it way for season to dump the fuel out of the tank and start it up and run it out of fuel. The thing was a month out of warranty when it wouldn't run. I took it in they said crank case seals had dried out so the case wouldn't hold vacumn. Cost 150 bucks to fix it on a 250 dollar blower. The Sthil dealer told me not to pay attention I the manual. It really needed fuel to be kept in it and ran on a regular basis.

Now all my stuff two stroke and four stroke gets pulled out I the shed every couple of months and gets started and ran. I will buy another Stihl but the stuff has be properly maintained or it won't last 3 years either.

With that said. I have been running the same $79 weed eater brand weed eater for, well this will be 14 years. Bought it at pen square Walmart. I have lived on and mowed and weed eated 5 acres since 2007. It never dies. Put fuel lines on it a couple of times. Things starts right up every year.

Weedeater for sure, had mine for 10 years and never had a problem, I always make sure when filling it with gas that I don't get clippings or debris in the tank, that will clog it up for sure.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Noble is close so I went to Dave's Small Engine Repair (thanks SoonerP226) and dropped off my eleven year old Stihl blower for it's first ever tuneup / service and while there I picked up a new Stihl FS-40C trimmer......they had them for the same price as Atwoods, $159.00 + tax.

Nice shop......the fella put it together, filled it with fuel, showed me how to work it and took me out back and fired it up to be sure in ran alright before I left with it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know which homelite u have but i would check the muffler on it and see if u can open it up there is a wire screen in it that gets stopped up from time to time and u can either throw the screen away or clean the screen with some gas or carb cleaner and put it back in.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl two years ago. After throwing my old craftsman trimmer across the yard fire the final time.

I went with the combo unit and have had good luck. It does right up at the first of the season.

I run 91 octane non ethanol gas. My blower and weed eater both run great

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the guys on Tinker does small engine overhauls on the weekends; excellent work and very reasonable, also has repaired units for sale at half or less than brand new. PM if you want his contact info, works out of his house over off 104th and May area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom