Gas oven problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pills510

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magic Chef model 34MN3TKXW

I am helping a friend troubleshoot their gas oven problem. It will come on, heat to 102 degrees and then shut off.

Any help?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thermocouple may be shot...

Guy bails out of an airplane... pulls the rip cord...nadda...zippo....zilch ...chute wont open.

He ponders the dilema....makes his peace with his maker and waits for impact.

Looking down he notices a dot... getting bigger... it's a man traveling upward.

The cross in mid air for an instant.

"hey... you know anything about parachutes? the pilot yells...

"NO"... says the other guy who's speeding upward..."Can you fix a gas stove?"

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thermocouple has loose connections or is bad .

Most ovens Dont use a thermocouple as they are not spark iginition. If you look up a diagram of he specific oven the OP listed you will see this oven is no different......

It's either the Hot surface ignitor or the Gas valve. Id turn off the gas supply and disconnect it from the unit. Once I was sure there is no NG present Id put a clamp meter on the ignitor wire and see how much current it is pulling when it is glowing its brightest.... If I remember correctly it should be betweene 4-5 amps for most valves

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thermocouples are for appliances that have a pilot light. Most appliances sold for the last few years, perhaps even decades, are electronic ignition. Besides, a bad thermocouple wouldn't even allow an appliance to light, let alone heat up to 102 degrees.

The only appliance that I can think of that may still use thermocouples are hot water heaters.

My guess that there is some form of thermostat that is malfunctioning by getting a false temperature reading, causing the premature shutoff.

Now, having said all that, it has been ages since I did much with gas ovens. My experience dates back to the days when there were pilot lights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom