Generosity!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I had a pretty interesting hunt this weekend. Friday I wanted to take my son hunting. So we left at real early and drove out to the lease. As soon as we got there and pulled in the gate a buck and doe took off running. We made it to our tripod and climbed inside and ten minutes later we were seeing deer. The first deer to come out was a 3pt and my nine year old said look at that big buck! I kind of chuckled and said yeah he's got a big body! We never got a shot but we seen 10 deer and had a great time together.

After the morning hunt we met up with my firend and went to eat at the local gas/diner station. While we were there another hunter came in to eat and we all got to talking and the next thing you know, he invited us to his lease to do a deer drive. We gladly accepted and my friend missed a descent buck. I thought that I would as kind and invite this guy back out to one of my places and do a deer drive there as well. This place that I invited him to has some BIG deer. It is very hard to hunt. It is a quarter section that is all Milo with a big winding creek in the middle that runs north and south. When we got there I told him to feel free to shoot anything that he see's as he had told us. I didn't really think that he would get a shot at anything other than a doe. But guess what he did. We jumped up a buck and he asked if he could shoot, we couldn't even see the deer so we said sure. He did and he hit it. We waited a few minutes and went to look for blood. We found a lot. But there looked to be a partial gut shot. But there was also good blood. So we waited about an hour and started to blood trail this deer. This was at 2:30 in the afternoon, at dark we had to stop looking as this deer went from one end of our property zig zaging to the other end. 1/2 mile as a bird would fly. But the way he went, in and out of the creek it was more like a mile easily.

After the next mornings hunt we went back to where we left off and crossed the fence and continued to follow the blood trail for the next few hours. We were litteraly down on our hands and knees at some points looking at specs of blood. Finally the blood lead us to a wheat field and ended. We had went all the way to the other end of the full mile now and was worn out, frustrated, and about to give up. The guy wanted to keep looking but we were hungry. We told him that more than likely the deer crossed the road or ran across the wheat field to another patch of woods and to go look there.

So my firiend, my wife, and I went to eat and while we were there he called and told us he found it. I couldn't believe it.

Anyways sorry for the long story but I thought it was worth sharing. Here's a couple pics of the buck!

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_81fd3932.jpg

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_939fc755.jpg

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice buck and you and your new friend are true sportsmen to keep on the trail that long. Great job.

There was several times that we would lose the trail and one of us would be ready to give up, but the other would keep going and amazingly find another drop like 30 yards away so we would keep going.

The pose just happened that way! He was a little stiff from laying overnight and after he field dressed it, he was going to pull him over onto his belly but he just sat there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom