Geo. Kaiser wants to turn Tulsa into Austin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So lets build a lot of parks while these people keep working mw jobs because they don't have marketable skills. Instead of houses how about that many more scholarships to TTC and TCC? Yes, he has helped with primary education, but that does little for the adults of these kids working low paying jobs. Oh, yeah, he supports a higher mw (something that does little to help as inflation kills those gains after a few years).

This park is nothing more than to make him feel better about himself.

Dude... Tulsa county high school students and graduates already get a free ride to Tulsa Tech and TCC. Look up the Tulsa Achieves programs.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude... Tulsa county high school students and graduates already get a free ride to Tulsa Tech and TCC. Look up the Tulsa Achieves programs.

Utilization rate of that program is nowhere near what it should be, IMO. Back the clock up by 20 years when my kids were coming into that age, I'd see that as the no-brainer solution as a parent. Unfortunately, the program wasn't available then and we also didn't live in Tulsa County at that time.

Staying on topic with the subject of Mr. Kaiser re: making Tulsa Austin, I believe that to be an unlikely outcome because of the largest missing element, a preponderance of a certain age range with a certain education & income level. The demographic certainly exists and has flexed its Tulsa muscle to the point that there has been a market response, i.e. the Brady Arts area, the Blue Dome area, other downtown/BOK areas. I judge the current condition to be about the market saturation point for the size of the demographic and TGP won't push the envelope in any significant way.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with rich folks doing good with their money in what ever way they see fit. I wish I could do that.
At the same time, making cities more attractive results in more of the slow death of the rural lifestyle.
Not saying it's bad, just makes me sad.

Full disclosure: I was raised a city boy in what was then the outskirts of Tulsa.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with rich folks doing good with their money in what ever way they see fit. I wish I could do that.
At the same time, making cities more attractive results in more of the slow death of the rural lifestyle.
Not saying it's bad, just makes me sad.

Full disclosure: I was raised a city boy in what was then the outskirts of Tulsa.
That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that it lets more people stay in the cities instead of feeling like they need to move "out to the country" and bringing their suburban sprawl with them. The big open pasture across the street from me sold last summer in about a dozen parcels of ~30-35 acres each. Guess what that suggests.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So lets build a lot of parks while these people keep working mw jobs because they don't have marketable skills. Instead of houses how about that many more scholarships to TTC and TCC? Yes, he has helped with primary education, but that does little for the adults of these kids working low paying jobs. Oh, yeah, he supports a higher mw (something that does little to help as inflation kills those gains after a few years).

This park is nothing more than to make him feel better about himself.

You REALLY need to educate yourself a little more. He's partnered up with the Foodbank, Transit Authority, TPS, TTC, and TTC on several projects. Not to mention again, look up programs like 36 Degrees North that he's funded. Help is there for people if they want it.

I'll say that for being a proclaimed libertarian you have some strong opinions as to what someone else ought to do with his money.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that it lets more people stay in the cities instead of feeling like they need to move "out to the country" and bringing their suburban sprawl with them. The big open pasture across the street from me sold last summer in about a dozen parcels of ~30-35 acres each. Guess what that suggests.

Good point, I hope it works that way.
We moved to the north side of Piedmont 10 years ago; I could count 2 rooftops from my back porch, now I think there's over 30.
I used to feel like I lived in the country where it was dark at night and I frequently saw deer, owls, coyotee; now I live in a neighborhood.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess it depends on your definition of "better".......the BOK center and the "revitalization" of downtown aren't "better" for everyone....I have never been to the BOK and will probably never go.......from what I can tell, the "revitalization" of downtown has been very good for those who enjoy bars and restaurants and those who own then.....I've spent a little time downtown and can't think of a single way the "revitalization" has improved my quality of life. I'm sure many people, like you, see this stuff as an improvement.....others, like me, not so much.

you're probably benefitting in one way or another from the increases in sales tax revenue, though. There is also probably a benefit for retention and attraction of people (and yes, some will view that as a negative).

Heck, I know folks from california who fly in each year to race the Tulsa Tough. They arrive, spend money, enjoy the event and leave. They wouldn't come otherwise and they are threatening to not come next year if the event doesn't grow to include a friday night master's race downtown (not sure if they are serious or not, though).

Nothing like this happens without some good and some bad.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You REALLY need to educate yourself a little more. He's partnered up with the Foodbank, Transit Authority, TPS, TTC, and TTC on several projects. Not to mention again, look up programs like 36 Degrees North that he's funded. Help is there for people if they want it.

I'll say that for being a proclaimed libertarian you have some strong opinions as to what someone else ought to do with his money.

Where the heck did I claim to be a libertarian? I'm an independent, always have said that. And yes, I have strong opinions when people want to spend their money on eye candy and claim it will bring divided factions of the city together and want to turn Tulsa into a liberal stronghold like Austin. No effing thank you. I've been to Austin several times to visit a family friend. Traffic sucks ass, prices are ridiculous, crime rate is high, so is the homeless. I like Tulsa as it is. Sure, I would love a pro sports team (something that would do more to unite the populace than a park btw), but I don't want Tulsa to become a huge metropolis.

I just see this park as a waste of money in the terms that it is supposed to "heal" a divided community. Had not that been a theme of this article I doubt it would have gotten as much attention.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL.... let's see...Guthrie Green, Woody Guthrie Museum, A new Ball park. The Brady, PAC, Cains, and the BOK are all doing well. Several buildings I can think of are either being restored and put on the registry or renovated. Shall I go on?

I get it though boys.... this is all bad. We should go back to the unoccupied, run down, bum filled, downtown of just 15 years ago.

I didn't say any of those things were bad, just that they haven't improved my quality of life......there is really nothing downtown that interests me and I haven't seen an extra cent in my pocket from any of the commercial interests you mentioned.

Again, those things aren't "bad" and I'm certainly not saying that what is valuable to me is more important than what is valuable to others......just trying to point out that your idea of "better" isn't necessarily the same as mine or others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom