Getting the itch... The OTF itch...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never wanted an Out-the-front auto before, but they're starting to grow on me and then I saw this (cheesy I know, but something makes me want to cough up the $300 for it - despite the fact that it is an Ultratech):

www.bladehq.com_imgs_out_the_front_automatics_microtech_otf_ul59cd467922f0c2b9620c15e16e70db38.jpg

I've always sort of liked the Troodons for their shape/grip and I like this one too:

www.bladehq.com_imgs_out_the_front_automatics_microtech_otf_tr667ed0b7cc0a3ad7c5c66e93a2a1dc28.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's a dumb question - obviously this knife (the zombie one) is not legal for carry for more than one reason (dagger / Double-edge plus being an automatic or "switchblade"), but after looking through the SDA again, where is the limit to having this knife "on your person" or carrying it?

I can carry this knife all day long on private property (assuming the property-owners are cool with it) right?

Can I transport it in a car? Do I have to have it "locked up" while in the car (there do not appear to be any specific restrictions on it unless its tied to some other OK law about transporting restricted "weapons" or something I haven't read)?

I know a lot of folks sort of thumb their nose at the law (it is an archaic law that seems ridiculous - like our tattoo laws before recent changes), but I'd like to comply with the law as best I can (especially while carrying a gun via the SDA).

I don't tend to walk around in public very often, so I'm wondering exactly what the liability of carrying an OTF is if you only go from private property to your car to more private property (where knives are allowed)...

Might be a dumb question, but it just strikes me as dumb that autos are picked on in the first place (as are the ever-vague "Bowie knives" and "daggers").

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O.S. 21-1272 is an archaic law dating back to the 70's. It has a lot to do with gang activity and Hollywood stereotypes of the time. It's vague and outdated, but no one's bothered to work on revising it. I see no reason why even the most offensive type knife should be prohibited if you have an SDA permit to carry a gun.

Enforcement is spotty at best. If you're a straight arrow that doesn't attract the attention of LE, you could probably carry one all the time and get away with it. The problem is good ones like Microtechs are pricey and you run the risk of losing it if a savvy LEO spots the clip or glass breaker. :(

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah - that's really my major concern. I typically don't carry knives clipped to the pocket (I keep the clip on because I use it for grip - my pinky and ring finger on my right hand automatically look for the pocket clip on any folder), but with an auto OTF, I think I might not even carry it clipped to my pocket, but in a sheath (just out of fear of something bumping the switch).

I've only ever handled a Dalton OTF and it seemed to fire fast enough that it would certainly cause some damage if it fired in the pocket towards the groin area, so I'm not really keen on having that happen anywhere.

For those of you that carry OTFs (obviously not in public unless you're LEO or AD .mil :D), how do you carry them?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Microtech OTF's (except the Halo series) have the button on the edge rather than the side. It would be very difficult to activate it in the pocket vs. some other designs. I know the Benchmade Infidel I had was on the side, but it was VERY stiff and I didn't have any concerns about it either. I figure if I'm gonna carry a sheath knife, it's going to be a fixed blade.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just pre-ordered a Zombie-Tech like the one pictured. Now I've got to sell something before it comes in...

From the reviews I've read, its supposed to be closer to this color:

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom