Getting the itch... The OTF itch...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to get microtech OTF but read up on there warranty. To get any warranty work done on the auto's you have to have Police or AM paperwork. So thats a no go for me unfortunately. Those are bad ass, I would love to have one but at that price and no warranty its a no go.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt own a microtech anything ever again. Anthony Marifone has a serious track record of screwing people over. I am one of the screwed over. Never again.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to get microtech OTF but read up on there warranty. To get any warranty work done on the auto's you have to have Police or AM paperwork. So thats a no go for me unfortunately. Those are bad ass, I would love to have one but at that price and no warranty its a no go.

That's not entirely true - to get warranty work, you have to return it to the dealer you purchased it from (or another dealer that will take it - there are several) and they have to send it back to MicroTech. That's because of the myriad of stupid laws in various states that restrict autos. A good MicroTech dealer will get your knife back to you quickly and without issue as they deal with MicroTech directly.

And langston302's right - Anthony is a complete tool and I wouldn't ordinarily be buying anything made by MicroTech (especially after what they did to Kershaw/ZT), but when it came to OTF autos, there were no others that did anything for me and this one is selling out as fast as dealers can get it and will be limited production, so I can always sell it and get my money back.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stopped by little Joes boots in cow town to look for a knife, he has the microtech zombies instock. I also talked to him about there warranty and was to just to bring it to him and he would handle and warranty requests so that's cool. But after fondling them for a while I don't think OTF is for me. To much blade wobble, I do like the OTS though.

Fill me in, what happened with Kershaw and zt?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically Thomas (from KAI / ZT) was at BLADE and showing off a prototype for an OTF knife as well as the ZT 0777 and Tony got mad about ZT getting into the OTF market and decided to be a dick (in true Marifone fashion)

Here's Thomas' version:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/901807-The-Original-0777

Thomas W said:
As to the ZT OTF part of the story.
At Blade, we had an OTF that we had been playing with for a while. We wanted to prove out an OTF, and never really did. In cycle testing, we never felt there was long term success with the internals. They all failed. 2 proto's were brought to Blade. While we could have produced and sold these OTF's, had a lot of interest, we never were comfortable with the durability and warranty portions associated with OTF's. Thus the project was scrapped. Shortly after, all auto's for 2012 were disco'd.

Tony came by the booth and wanted to see the OTF, and was a tad rude in his take. Whatever, I wasn't too bothered.

Guess this is some odd way of "revenge" for OTF's (that never made it to market) that apparently he has ultimate dibs on.

Oh, I should add that he got upset that his award winning S/F needed a name change. At Blade MT had the piece named as "Select Fire". I let Jim know that we had a Select Fire G.G. Hawk piece out for a couple years now. Guess a Google search is too difficult to do prior to naming a knife and going to market with it?

So there is the story on the OTF CJ.

And here is the ZT 0777:

i207.photobucket.com_albums_bb170_forrest200713_BladeShow2011AwardKnifeFrontBacksmall.jpg

And here is MicroTech's Project X (they later came out with the WhaleShark - another copy of ZT's designs):

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom