Glock made in austria vs us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the title says what is the difference in the glocks made in Austria and the ones made in the US. I am pretty new to glock but have been carrying my 19 gen. 3 for a while and just noticed that it is a full made in Austria glock, was wondering what if any differences there were. I read online there isn't much but some forum said the finishes are different. Can any glock expert here educate me on the differences?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the title says what is the difference in the glocks made in Austria and the ones made in the US. I am pretty new to glock but have been carrying my 19 gen. 3 for a while and just noticed that it is a full made in Austria glock, was wondering what if any differences there were. I read online there isn't much but some forum said the finishes are different. Can any glock expert here educate me on the differences?

They are the same.

The manufacturing lines and equipment are identical or so near identical, they say you could move an employee between faculties and they would be able to go right to work. Glock has pretty much no sub contractors except for raw material suppliers. All of these also go through the Glock mothership before they ship to the US.

Only frames slides and barrels are built in Georgia. (And the boxes). Everything else comes from Austria.

Glock has changed their finishes 2-3 times. But, they changed at the same time at all locations.

I’ve owned a few like models from both US and Austria and could not tell any difference.

G41 19X

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old finish on Glocks were a lot more durable right? Before they set up shop in the US? But nowadays they use the same finishing technique on the guns regardless of origin and it's the less durable version?

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old finish on Glocks were a lot more durable right? Before they set up shop in the US? But nowadays they use the same finishing technique on the guns regardless of origin and it's the less durable version?
Yes, I really like my Gen 3 Glock's for the Tenifer finish they have. I believe it to be the best and most durable finish on a Glock.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. There are different finishes on the older Glocks vs. the newer Glocks. I’ve read articles that the finish was changed because of the chemicals involved and physical and environmental issues during manufacturing. Is it true? Only Glock knows.

My preference is the older Glocks because the finish is more like parkerizing and slightly rough. The newer finish is smoother and makes it harder to rack the slide if your hands have any moisture.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. There are different finishes on the older Glocks vs. the newer Glocks. I’ve read articles that the finish was changed because of the chemicals involved and physical and environmental issues during manufacturing. Is it true? Only Glock knows.

My preference is the older Glocks because the finish is more like parkerizing and slightly rough. The newer finish is smoother and makes it harder to rack the slide if your hands have any moisture.

The angle I heard is that EPA regs made it impossible for Glock to use the old finish on guns made in their US factory, so they just standardized to the newer finish tech in both locations.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Glocks identity as Austrian.

Since I can't get it out of my head...

Austria-Ha-Dumb-and-Dumber-Meme.jpg

AgC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your help, I did notice the finish was different as I am starting to fall in love with glocks and was looking at the newer 19x and glock 42 definitely could tell the finish was different for the slide, wasn't sure about why though thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom