Glock Question - Plug or Unplugged?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Plug or Leave Unplugged?

• Plug It!

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Leave Unplugged!

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have a Gen 4 Glock 19 and was thinking of getting a grip plug until I heard from some LEO friends that said their armorers require them to leave their Glocks unplugged. Question is to plug, to leave unplugged? Feel free to post commentary such as any product recommendations. Thanks!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Gen IV will require a different plug. I'm not aware of any of them on market, as of yet.

Glock factory recommends to leave unplugged.

Compact and subcompacts with plugs are bad news for an emergency stuck magazine removal. Thus plugs a bad idea for carry or defense-use Glocks of the aforementioned sizes. No problem with standard size regarding an emergency mag strip and a plug.

For competition purposes, a proper plug in a standard size frame is an advantage. For USPSA Production, there are rules with regard to how much plug projection below butt is permitted. For IDPA, there are rules relating to materials/weight.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
this:

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_olyeller14_glocks_mikeb34magwell1.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Word! I've had olyeller do this on my 17 and 21SF and it's far superior to a plug or unplugged.

While I understand that the opening is intended to let debris fall out the bottom of the grip, I think it's far more likely that debris will be introduced into the action in the carry position from an unplugged well.

I've yet to have a Glock malf to the point that I had difficulty stripping the mag by the baseplate. Image of the 21SF work:

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG4550.jpg

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Word! I've had olyeller do this on my 17 and 21SF and it's far superior to a plug or unplugged.

While I understand that the opening is intended to let debris fall out the bottom of the grip, I think it's far more likely that debris will be introduced into the action in the carry position from an unplugged well.

I've yet to have a Glock malf to the point that I had difficulty stripping the mag by the baseplate. Image of the 21SF work:

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG4550.jpg

I had the grip of mine done similar to this and couldn't be happier.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why does Glock reccommend to leave the grip unplugged?

Supposedly debris will fall out of that hole when firing and when it's plugged up it won't let the debris out and it will jam up the weapon.

I've fired somewhere around 1,500 rounds through mine so far without a single failure of any kind, I know 1,500 isn't a whole lot, but I still think it's B.S. about debris jamming the gun up because of plugging that hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom