Gloves and guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you talking about white gloves like some people wear when handling rare or very valuable firearms? If so, that's to keep fingerprints, skin oil, dirt, etc. off the gun to keep the finish in as good a shape as possible. I actually have one gun that came with a set of white gloves... a Winchester 94 gold plated Cowboy Hall of Fame edition my Grandpa gave me. I didn't use the gloves... I got it out and shot it. :wink2: I'm not a big fan of the "safe queen" concept.

If you're talking about "tactical" gloves like some people wear when shooting AR's and such, sometimes trainers recommend coming to classes with gloves because you will be doing so much weapon and magazine manipulation that you might wear your hands raw in spots. Also they keep you from getting burned on the hot places when you really get a gun warmed up. Personally I hardly ever wear gloves when shooting unless it's cold, but I see some good reasons why others do. Then there are those who just wear them to look cool. Plenty of that going on too.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a golf glove that i wear when shooting my sp101.I have shot thousands of rounds through it but it still puts a blister on the bottom side of my trigger finger if i don't use it.Dont wear it when shooting my glocks or other guns.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go by the theory that you train in the equipment you will likely be using in real world scenario. I never shoot with gloves on, even when it's cold out. I never wear gloves in my day to day life, never, therefore it would be silly to train with gloves as in a defensive situation I will never have gloves on. Some people wear gloves often in their daily lives for occupation or other activities (motorcycles, etc.) and in those cases it would be good to practice shooting with gloves on as well.

scotheocelot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I train with and without. Keep in mind there is a reason why military outfits wear and train with gloves. You hands are everything in a fight. Lose your hands or feet and you're f'd. So if you are one who trains for global collapse you will most likely have to head for your remote stash house in the boonies. If you have to trek through woods, shrubs and whatever else you would (or I would anyways) wear gloves. Say you must to use your weapon I doubt you will have time to remove said gloves. Remove scenario I know but I'd rather know the feel of my weapons with gloves.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear thinsulate when hunting...a bolt gun isnt hard to manipulate in thicker gloves
I wear mechanix when shooting in the cold.

And I've considered but haven't yet shot with gloves all the time. Would save your hands from hot gun bits, hammer bite, and the other random bloody things steel parts and springs can do to your hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom