Go to pistol powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wandering what everybodys take was for a all around good pistol powder. I use bluedot right now. It seems to fill the cases good to prevent double charges. It seems to leave alot of unburnt powder everywhere when fired. I was thinking of switching to unique but I have read it is really dirty. So now I am leaning toward titegroup. I have heard that titegroup is really clean,but also seems pretty fast in the world of pistol powders. I am still kinda a reloading noob. I am loading for 40s&w, 38 special, 357 mag, 45 acp, maybe 380.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you loading lead or jacketed? I see you mention filling the case to prevent a double charge. Is that a requirement? Any reason you don't want to pick a couple of powders? Just because it has load data for it, doesn't mean its the best powder.

Here is my play book

9mm jacketed 124gr. - Titegroup
9mm lead 130gr. - WST
.40 S&W jacketed 180gr. - Titegroup
.38 Spl lead 158gr. - Bullseye
.357 Mag jacketed 158gr. - 2400
.357 Mag lead 158gr. - 2400 (testing soon)

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, with what you are loading, I couldn't recommend a single powder. I wold say you are going to shoot dirty trying to shoot one powder for al those calibers. You are much better off trying to stay with 2-3 powders. I tried what you are trying(stay to minimum number of powders on hand) and found that I would get such descrepancies from changing from 45 to 9 tryin to stay with the same powder, could I have made it work? Probably, but it wouldn't be as accurate that just switching powders, (I had 9s tumbline at 10' where the 45 looked great out to 30 yards.)
--Mech

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bullets I have been using are Rainer plated bullets. I was also going to order some Berrys and try them. The only reason I was trying to keep it to one powder is because I am lazy. There is also not a requirement for filling the case, I just feel better knowing it is more difficult for me to screw it up that way. I am sure i will get over it eventually. Thanks for the wisdom. I will do some more research and i will buy a couple of different powders and try them out.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used 231 and power pistol both for something along those lines. The power pistol works fine, but it is rather "flammy" when shooting. If big flames don't bother you go for it. I find my loads a bit more accurate with 231. While not perfect I use a lot of it. I do like blue dot for magnum loads.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing. I used to think that I needed plated or jacketed bullets. But honestly for target shooting I don't think you can beat the cast bullets J&K bullet casters make. I shoot them all the way up through my .41 with magnum loads and I have had very small amounts of leading. Not even really worth mentioning. I would save the bucks and shoot their lead. I have nothing but nice to say about their product and the owner!

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more thing, they are in OKC, but I am quite sure that the J&K guys will be at the Wannemacher show at the end of March in Tulsa. At least I hope so, I do need more bullets...

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For plinking/normal ammo in 380, 38sp, and 45acp, I'd use something like Win231/HP38 (same powder). It's relatively fast and that is fine. It also works well with hardcast lead bullets which would work well in those calibers.

For 40s&w, 357 mag, and 45acp, I'd use either power pistol or blue dot for "full" power loads. Both are slower powders. Once you start getting into higher pistol pressures, both powders work very well and burn clean. If you want reduced power, forget the blue dot or power pistol and use Win231/HP38 (or similar) instead.

If you have to stick with just one pistol powder, Unique is a good choice. Using 2-3 powders for the pistol spectrum is typically a better choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom