Go to pistol powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cencrunner

Win231 has worked for me in 9mm, 38 Spec, 45 ACP, and if I remember correctly, 380. It will also work in 357 but there are better powders. It is nice not to have to keep several different powders on hand all the time.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using one powder will never prove ideal for all the calibers you mentioned. For light loads in 40 S&W and 45ACP loads I use WST or American Select. For lead bullets in 38 Special and light 357 Mag I use Trail Boss.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i use win231/hp38 for most everything pistol related. it can get a little sooty but i can run 4.3 gr in most without changing my disc on the lee setup. all i have to do is change the die plate between calibers. just watch my bullet weights and i can make it work.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I might be showing my age but when it comes to an all round pistol powder to keep on hand I'd have to go with Unique. There are not many handgun cartridges that cannot be loaded with great success using it. When I was a kid I sometimes even used it in my Krag for light loads for rabbits an squirrels.

Michael

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bullets I have been using are Rainer plated bullets. I was also going to order some Berrys and try them. .

I love the Ranier bullets, and like the berrys as well, I just got so aggravated with the people at berrys that until Mitch at J&K started stocking them I wouldn't go through the agony of dealing directly with berrys. Then Mitch had the same type problems with them not filling orders as they said they would, that he started stocking Montana Gold instead, which I like very well also. You might contact Mitch at J&K and find out what he has, he makes a lot of shoots in the Tulsa area and would probably be glad to bring some on one of his trips if you could meet him. Blitzfike

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using Unique & Bullseye since day one.
I've used lots of other, but keep coming back.

One of the benefits of Unique is all the rifle applications.

I don't reccommend fast burning powders like Bullseye for begining reloader.
To easy to over charge with such lite loads.

Most of the new stuff in the past 10 years have been pretty good also.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Unique & Bullseye since day one.
I've used lots of other, but keep coming back.

One of the benefits of Unique is all the rifle applications.

I don't reccommend fast burning powders like Bullseye for begining reloader.
To easy to over charge with such lite loads.

Most of the new stuff in the past 10 years have been pretty good also.

yep, bullseye has to narrow of an "error window" you better better be paying CLOSE attention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom