going to the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hunted from a stand for many years. This year is the first time I'm taking my son out for youth season. We are going to hunt from the ground. Will build a small enclosure with hay bales and pile brush and limbs up on it. I feel alot better about being on the ground than 15+ feet up in a small 2 man stand with a new hunter. I'm definitely going to invest in a ground blind soon though.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been hunting out of the same Ameristep blind for a while now, since the tallest trees on my property are around six foot trophy mesquites. It's one of them gnarly/ugly bone collecter two man blinds. http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/bonecollector.html Looks decent once you get it brushed in. It's taken three years of Oct-Jan weather, two 70+ mph rain storms keeping us dry, and many a backstraps down. Picked it up on an Amazon black friday deal for $50-ish w/free shipping. While it'll keep you cozy warm in the teens, it'll lend a great deal to your swampass this time of year.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine set up.

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Make sure and play your windows right. The object is to create a shadowbox effect. Having windows open on both sides allows critters to see you moving inside. Only open what you need to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis didn't you buy a ghost blind a while back? I've considered getting one and curious if you have tried yours and how you would compare it versus ground blind. Thanks

I did. It works great. Better for rifle than bow, but if there are several does close enough for a bow shot, it seems one of them is always looking your way. Makes it hard to come to a draw. All out has a thread started on the ghost blind.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I gave up tree blinds 3 years ago. It is hard to use a tree stand in a wheelchair. Anyway I still have a ladder stand and another tree stand that I'll let anybody have. no cost. They just need to be used. I;ve killed more big deer from the ground than I ever did in a tree stand. I like the ground better. It is easier to keep warm. I now use a Blind in a Bag.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt from the ground every year and have never used a tree stand. I have almost purchased a tree stand many times, but I enjoy sitting at the base of trees typically and it works for our property.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did. It works great. Better for rifle than bow, but if there are several does close enough for a bow shot, it seems one of them is always looking your way. Makes it hard to come to a draw. All out has a thread started on the ghost blind.

Thank you sir! I've looked at them a couple of times at cabelas and they do look interesting.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up tree blinds 3 years ago. It is hard to use a tree stand in a wheelchair. Anyway I still have a ladder stand and another tree stand that I'll let anybody have. no cost. They just need to be used. I;ve killed more big deer from the ground than I ever did in a tree stand. I like the ground better. It is easier to keep warm. I now use a Blind in a Bag.

Stan you are a very gracious man!

Latest posts

Top Bottom