Talk to me about fruit trees ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My peaches were the first to get ripe , then apricots ,the apples & pears are a long ways out . I have 2 plum trees about 18 inches tall I started from seed of large plum. They sprouted [n late in late summer , Wintered them in the house . Planted them Spring before last . Got my Apricot trees the same way. Dont have much luck with nursey trees.

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well one of the guys that spoke yesterday was talking about how much better trees were for pollinators than flowers, but it never occurred to me to ask why that was. 🤷 Maybe I should just plant one kind of fruit TREE and plant the other 2 rows in bushes -- like blackberry or blueberry?? At this point I figure I have about 6-8 weeks of mental masturbation to go through before I have to buckle down, make some choices and spend some money. You guys have given me a lot to consider so far.
Its because most trees bloom earlier than flowers, plums and peaches are some of the first things to bloom in the spring. Pears on the other hand are more reliant on flies than bees, makes sense if you ever smelled pear blossoms.

The best planting time will be late winter early spring during dormancy "bare root season" so you got some time. Bare root trees are usually cheaper and can be shipped. Lowes does carry some locally grown fruit tree stock, check tags in spring.

On blueberries, there are northern high bush and southern varieties. We are at the edge of the northern range. I grow southern purchased here: Willis Orchard Company I have the "Southern blueberry combo" pretty good deal. Moat of these are pretty new to the market and from university breeding programs in the southern states.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me if already addressed……..

Has anyone had luck with lemons in OK? I keep thinking I want to plant a couple trees to have lemons. Anybody done that?
Screenshot_20230727-184722.png

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive me if already addressed……..

Has anyone had luck with lemons in OK? I keep thinking I want to plant a couple trees to have lemons. Anybody done that?
You can grow in pots and over winter in a greenhouse or inside, O have a Meyer lemon here and grew lemons and mandarines in Seattle over wondered indoors. i am tempted to try grow a yuzu close to the house. They can tolerate single digits. The problem with OK cold is it is 70 degrees one day and 10 the next

Reminds me I need to get a calamondin, good citrus for indoors. They sell them at super Cao Nguyen around Chinese new year

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Peaches,plums and nectarines have always done well here.they are relatively small,don’t require much care and are short lived.Pears are excellent but they can get pretty big. I’m treating my expensive Apple tree for fungus right now,so I’ll probably waste time and money for a few tart apples.
I would get the biggest ones available. My small ones were badly damaged this spring 😪

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom