Talk to me about fruit trees ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am certainly no fruit tree expert. But the wife and I have planted several of them over the last 10 years living on this property.

Peach trees will tend to do better than most apple varieties in our climate. Apples can obviously be grown here too though. We have a green apple tree that does decent every few years.

Get a mixture of different peach varieties. Put a couple white peaches in there too. Try to find some that ripen early summer and some of that ripen late summer to stagger harvest.

Try to seek out varieties that are proven to do well in Oklahoma.

The wife and I have had success transplanting small baby trees from under established peach trees. Typically pop up like crazy in the spring. We have never tried cloning/grafting. When you grow from seed, it’s not guaranteed the peaches will be the same as the parent tree. But we’ve had good luck with it. Plus it’s free.. Some of the nurseries get pricey.

Word of warning: be prepared to wait several years before seeing any fruit, and from there be prepared to only get a ‘good’ harvest every 3 years or so haha! Seems like between the wind/hail/late frost/bugs/etc it takes lots of things to go correctly in order to get a good peach crop. That has been our experience anyway.

Yeah ... I've gathered from reading that the fruit trees are gonna be cyclical when it comes to getting a harvest. And that they are gonna require me to actually become a master gardener or sorts. BUT ... I have all the time in the world now that I'm not working ... And I have just recently begun to wonder JUST how much I could actually produce here.

I have the ability to freeze dry, can, dehydrate, freeze, and ferment anything under the sun so now I am really curious as to just how much of my own food I can produce on my own. 🤔🤔🤷🤷🤷

In fact, I am SO all over the place right now -- for example I've got the hens for eggs. But I also have an incubator so I can raise meat birds if I want. All I need is a rooster. The neighbor has a rooster. 🤔🤔🤔 I already supplement their pellets with "trash" from the garden. And I also feed them mealworms for treats. Hey!! 🤔🤔🤔 I wonder if I can start my own mealworm farm?? Oh YAKNOW??!?! I have red wigglers in thee compost pile -- I CAN FARM WORMS!! 🤗🤗🤗 AND ... I've read fermenting their pellets and feeding them sprouts also cuts WAY back on expenses and makes for healthier (and tastier) eggs and meat.😍😍 See what I mean?? My ADHD goes into overdrive. 😂😂😂

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would love info on " little plastic thingies to use to get a tree to form a root ball on a stem so you can propagate more trees."

Ok ... Here's the pics. This one is on my monstera so an aerial root can go ahead and develop enough I can cut the stem and then plant the little guy in the pot. I'm trying to fill this pot up with stems and fill it out. It is taking me a while (I've had this guy about a year) but it beats the heck outta paying $75-100 bucks on a big one grown in a greenhouse that has a better than 50% chance of dying from shock after I buy it off the commercial greenhouse floor.

20230727_130438.jpg

leo78lion

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok ... Here's the pics. This one is on my monstera so an aerial root can go ahead and develop enough I can cut the stem and then plant the little guy in the pot. I'm trying to fill this pot up with stems and fill it out. It is taking me a while (I've had this guy about a year) but it beats the heck outta paying $75-100 bucks on a big one grown in a greenhouse that has a better than 50% chance of dying from shock after I buy it off the commercial greenhouse floor.

View attachment 396506
That might be the coolest thing I have seen today! Been trying to do roses for a while. I believe this is my answer! Thank you!

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have questions about what varieties to plant, you might contact Steve Lucas out of Chandler. He's big into chestnut trees but also has fruit trees to buy. They're outside trees not greenhouse. Can find him on FB. We planted some of his chestnut trees a few years ago but sold the property before they matured enough.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.temu.com/10pcs-reusable...all-breeding-equipment-g-601099514501426.html
There's the link -- BUT ... If you want a couple of them to try out before you order a bunch just message me your address and when I go out next week I'll stick them in the mail to you.

I filled mine with a half/half ball of potting soil and spaghnum moss. Actually probably a bit more soil. Soaked it in water pretty good and used bread ties through the little holes at the sides tl tighten it down around the stem. Different plants require attachment at different places so you will kinda have to read about each different plant's propagation preferences. Oh and if it's on outside plant a you will need to make sure the soil ball stays damp -- NOT soaked but damp.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That might be the coolest thing I have seen today! Been trying to do roses for a while. I believe this is my answer! Thank you!

Oh YES!! It works GREAT with roses!! I used them on some stems from a bouquet at work that one of the ladies I work with wanted to grow. That was a couple of years ago and her rose bush is beautiful.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have questions about what varieties to plant, you might contact Steve Lucas out of Chandler. He's big into chestnut trees but also has fruit trees to buy. They're outside trees not greenhouse. Can find him on FB. We planted some of his chestnut trees a few years ago but sold the property before they matured enough.

Ok I'll check him out. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom