Good hog rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Starting to get into hog hunting and am wanting a good rifle. My first dilema is caliber. The main caliber's I'm considering are 30-06 and .308. From there, it's about finding a good semi-auto in that caliber. I do have a marlin 336...do you guys/gals think that will be fine? Any input is appreciated!

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I use a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. It has done me well over the years. I know a lot of guys that carry the 336 and are successful. I wouldn't recommend the 30-06 unless you are going to be shooting distance and in light cover. The 308 is a good round for hogs. If you want a semi-auto, I'd consider the DPMS Oracle in 308 for a entry level AR carbine platform. Prices are coming down and I saw one today in a Little Rock gun shop for just under $1000.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accuracy is more important than caliber. I say this with lots of experience in the woods and not from just playing it out in my mind. A M1A, M1Garand, or AR 10 if you have to have semi auto capibility and .30 caliber. I used a 45-70 for awhile and wasn't really impressed. I use a bolt action 30-06 nearly as often as my M1A now. I have killed a few with a .223 as well. I can tell you a bad placed shot from a .50 (with sabot) caliber 270 grain Barnes TMZ at over 2000 fps will only slow a big boar down. But a well placed shot from a pistol (.357 sig) put him down.

Yes that 336 will work too. A man that knows how to work a lever action and shoot effectively will be just a touch slower than semi auto.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Placement > construction > caliber

Placement - how far are you hunting? baited? running? trapped?

Construction - are you reloading or just shooting factory loads?

Caliber - bigger is better! But at cost of recoil, report and capacity (and money).

With that said ultimate hog-getter would be 260 AR-10 loaded with Interbonds.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I use a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. It has done me well over the years. I know a lot of guys that carry the 336 and are successful. I wouldn't recommend the 30-06 unless you are going to be shooting distance and in light cover. The 308 is a good round for hogs. If you want a semi-auto, I'd consider the DPMS Oracle in 308 for a entry level AR carbine platform. Prices are coming down and I saw one today in a Little Rock gun shop for just under $1000.

I love the AR platform and am very familiar with it. Not a bad price and it would be easy to transition over to.

Accuracy is more important than caliber. I say this with lots of experience in the woods and not from just playing it out in my mind. A M1A, M1Garand, or AR 10 if you have to have semi auto capibility and .30 caliber. I used a 45-70 for awhile and wasn't really impressed. I use a bolt action 30-06 nearly as often as my M1A now. I have killed a few with a .223 as well. I can tell you a bad placed shot from a .50 (with sabot) caliber 270 grain Barnes TMZ at over 2000 fps will only slow a big boar down. But a well placed shot from a pistol (.357 sig) put him down.

Yes that 336 will work too. A man that knows how to work a lever action and shoot effectively will be just a touch slower than semi auto.

I fully agree with the accuracy. I'm accurate with my marlin, but need practice to be effective driving it quickly. Have considered a Garand, just cause, well, it's a Garand!

I think we see where this is going but every man is always looking for a reason to buy another gun:fullauto: all in all though my 30-30 gets it done every time my saiga just seems to follow me more :rotflmao:

Yeah, basically. lol

Placement > construction > caliber

Placement - how far are you hunting? baited? running? trapped?

Construction - are you reloading or just shooting factory loads?

Caliber - bigger is better! But at cost of recoil, report and capacity (and money).

With that said ultimate hog-getter would be 260 AR-10 loaded with Interbonds.

Distance will probably be 25 to 75 yards, baited and running (which is why I'd prefer a semi-auto platform). Not reloading, just using factory rounds.

Thanks for all the info! Lot's of good stuff to consider.