Good hog rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about any claiber in your closet will do if you have decent shot placement.
Many years ago there was the urban legend that it required a tank round.
People have proven that false many times.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've shot them at varying distances with everything from a 10 gauge pump with buckshot, to a 480 ruger pistol, to a 25.06, but my favorite hog gun is the 450 Marlin guide gun. I'd still like to take one with my 416 Rigby, but my hog spot got leased away before I could make it happen.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I use a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. It has done me well over the years. I know a lot of guys that carry the 336 and are successful. I wouldn't recommend the 30-06 unless you are going to be shooting distance and in light cover. The 308 is a good round for hogs. If you want a semi-auto, I'd consider the DPMS Oracle in 308 for a entry level AR carbine platform. Prices are coming down and I saw one today in a Little Rock gun shop for just under $1000.

????????? the 30-06 and .308 or ballisitcally equilivant rounds. Type of gun, whatever you prefer or whatever justification you need to convince wife you need to buy something instead of using what you have. Caliber = see answer above. Me .......... i use .223 M4, Browning 1892 lever in .44 mag, Ruger Superblackhawk .44 mag, 1911 .45ACP, Ruger SP101 .357mag or whatever I have within reach at the time.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
????????? the 30-06 and .308 or ballisitcally equilivant rounds.

I was gonna say the same thing. When I was looking into a good hunting rifle I was deciding between a 308 or a 30-06. My cousin bought a nice Savage 308 & got a deer this season with it. I ended up deciding on a 30-06 myself after watching some good comparisons of the ballistics, range & accuracy between the 2. Both are right one par with each other, mainly a round casing difference if I remember correctly. I believe I read the physical bullet is basically identical & its a difference in the brass between the 2 mainly. I just so happened across a Savage 30-06 while out shopping with a Bushnell scope & it was right in my price range so I grabbed it.

Still havent sighted it in yet but when I do I'm goin coyote hunting with my cousin.

soonerbyx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a 30-30, especially if you are already acclimated and comfortable with it. I prefer bolt/lever guns, but when on a hog hunt, I understand the possible need for a semi-auto, thus why my father-in-law always brings his old and cheap SKS, has yet to not drop a hog with it.