Good youth deer rifle for 1st hunt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do get a Remington 700 in .243, you always have the option of upgrading it to a .308 with just a barrel change. Factory take-off stocks are a dime a dozen (hell I've got a factory .308 varmint barrel and stock for sale and I'd make you a good deal on it).

- Andy

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my 11 now 12 year old out last year for his first deer hunt. I bought him a Howa 1500 youth 243, we used 80gr Winchester Power Points. My son is a little small for his age, but he did just fine. "RANT" just fine I guess he shot a 260lber first time out. He's grounded for the next 5 years.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've can shoot groups at 200 yards with the Tikka T3 .243 that are easily better than most groups you see at 100 yards. The Tikka will have a better trigger than most factory rifles and it only costs about $525 for one. The .243 will work for deer at 200 yards, no problem. The .243 will still work fine for big deer with the right bullet.
If you have money to build a project rifle, the Rem. 700 is hard to beat. I've got a built .308, .280 Ack. Imp.,.338 Edge and a 7mm RM on the way.
The Rem. 700 offers alot of model choices.+
I would also consider the .260 and the 7mm/08.

I had a Savage 110 in .243. Nice rifle for a cheap price. Crappy stocks, shoots well...not as well as the Tikka.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my 11 now 12 year old out last year for his first deer hunt. I bought him a Howa 1500 youth 243, we used 80gr Winchester Power Points. My son is a little small for his age, but he did just fine. "RANT" just fine I guess he shot a 260lber first time out. He's grounded for the next 5 years.

Awesome! Good starter rifle. Action can be built later too. +

hunterdeere

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Realize I am a couple of days late on this, but try the Remington reduced recoil bullets for your .270. I have three daughters that hunt, and started out with a .257 roberts as the ideal gun for them. Then I found the reduced recoil and my middle daughter has fallen in love with my 30-o6. Had to go on an elk hunt without her before I could use it again. kick is cut way down, and shoots the same out to about 150 yards as regular ammo (no resighting for the different loads). Think winchester also makes a reduced load but have heard it does not shoot the same. Have used it for around 5 years and not complaints. My daughter usually puts them down in their tracks with one shot. She got three deer in one year, three shots. :hey3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom