Got my gear, now just need some education!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mettalikatt

Hey all, I finally got my table set up, and have most of my gear to start reloading. I'm missing a piece of my case trimmer, and the owner's manuals to ALL of my equipment as it was secondhand. At any rate, I fiddled with making some cartridges to the best of my understanding with the book I've read, they came out within specs on OAL. I'm using a Redding T7 with RCBS dies, and I'm not sure that my "flaring" second die is really doing much, maybe it's not supposed to? The dummy rounds I've created so far are cycling through my 1911 just fine. I guess what I'd really like is a mentor! While my OAL is within spec I haven't figured out the micrometer on my Powder measure yet, is it just a micrometer for how large the opening is? or is it supposed to measure grains of powder.
At any rate, if anyone is in the Edmond area and wouldn't mind teaching a noob how to safely reload I'd appreciate your efforts.

-Zach

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
zach, i'm busy as all get out and won't have any time until early next week. i'll be glad to help you get you rig set up. looks like your doing 45, thats good, 45 acp loads pretty smoothly. the flare you are talking about doesn't need to do much, just enough to set you bullet in the opening. overflaring is hard on the brass and reduces the number of laods you can get out of one. what powder and bullet have you decided on?

M

Mettalikatt

It's actually 9mm luger but I have berrys 147 fmj and universal powder, as well as titegroup. Im more than elated that you'd be able to help me that soon!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mettalikatt said:
It's actually 9mm luger but I have berrys 147 fmj and universal powder, as well as titegroup. Im more than elated that you'd be able to help me that soon!

There's a bunch of websites that list load data. Places like handloads.com, for example, that list various recipes by caliber, bullet weight, etc. I can't seem to locate the site I normally use but I have it marked on another computer. Anyhow, with those data sites you can get an idea of the strength of the various loads. I usually " cheat" and cross-reference the load with my Lee dipper set and use a measurement that is close but under some of the loads listed. I'm small time but it's sure nice to save some coin when you go to the range.

Now you'll be like the rest of us and will be scavenging for decent brass on the ground at the range. ;-). I like it when I can score some pricey brass that a non-reloader left behind.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
zach, i'm busy as all get out and won't have any time until early next week. i'll be glad to help you get you rig set up. looks like your doing 45, thats good, 45 acp loads pretty smoothly. the flare you are talking about doesn't need to do much, just enough to set you bullet in the opening. overflaring is hard on the brass and reduces the number of laods you can get out of one. what powder and bullet have you decided on?

More or less what he said.

Flaring is really only necessary with lead bullets. I don't flare/bell rifle brass at all as I don't load any lead in rifles right now. The only reason I flare .38 or 9mm brass when loading jacketed is to avoid having to mess with the die when switching. The flare's primary purpose is to prevent shaving the lead bullet. Allowing it to seat in, or "funnel", the bullet is nice, but wouldn't be worth doing if that was the only benefit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom