Got that perpper itch this morn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gonna have to try that... recipe?
I didn't really use a recipe per se, I kind of followed one I found online but added and subtracted a few things. I had all those asian pears, I used cinnamon, nutmeg, Pumpkin pie spice because I dont have any all spice LOL, vanilla, a Tb of honey powder. I sort of winged it. It was my first time making any kind of fruit butter.
I'm guessing its the same as apple butter, just use pears. make sure you peel the pears first though. Cooked in a crockpot had lots of juice so I strained a lot of it out. ran it very quickly with a hand blender and canned it up.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you can potatoes? I'd like to do this as well. I dont have any itch though, just want to can potatoes.

Can 'em like most other foods, the taste of canned potatoes is not the same as fresh cooked to me, but when you don't have fresh potatoes, they work just fine. We usually pressure cook them before canning.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you can potatoes? I'd like to do this as well. I dont have any itch though, just want to can potatoes.

not hard at all to do. I Raw Pack mine. just peel em, wash them, cut them up to the size you like, stuff the jars full ( leave a 1/2 inch head space ) add in 1 tsp of canning salt to quarts or 1/2 tsp for pints, fill the jars up with hot water, put lids and rings on finger tight, pressure can pint jars for 35 min at 10lbs of pressure and 40 min at 10lbs for quart jars.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not hard at all to do. I Raw Pack mine. just peel em, wash them, cut them up to the size you like, stuff the jars full ( leave a 1/2 inch head space ) add in 1 tsp of canning salt to quarts or 1/2 tsp for pints, fill the jars up with hot water, put lids and rings on finger tight, pressure can pint jars for 35 min at 10lbs of pressure and 40 min at 10lbs for quart jars.
Sounds easy enough. I need to get a pressure cooker now. Can I Google shop for one now without NSA or some other outfit profiling me?

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

My wife & I do a bit of canning, but I never thought about raw packing. When you say hot water, do you mean tap hot*, or simmering/boiling hot?

* Don't worry, I don't use tap water for much beyond showering & washing clothes - just using the expression.

Latest posts

Top Bottom