Got within bow range of a big buck today (pics inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately he was bedded with three does on the edge of a subdivision, within 40 yards of a busy road and a $500,000 house, and I was armed only with my camera.

I pulled into the subdivision and parked by a vacant lot where a house is about to be built. The wind was in my favor and I got within 18 yards of him, crouched down in some brush and watched until the does stood up and led him back across the road right in front of a car (a good while, probably 10 minutes of me sitting there watching him). He never knew I was there.

Brush obscured the shots, but what can ya do. Look at the out of focus one where he is standing up looking away from me, and note the width of his rack. I'm thinking 145-150 class 9 point?

alh3.ggpht.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TOQiRaElT0I_AAAAAAAAAU4_eV4pFe0cpTs_s800_013.JPG

alh6.ggpht.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TOQiSUsEHlI_AAAAAAAAAU8_NeKubHCz9bc_s800_018.JPG

alh4.ggpht.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TOQiSoyli0I_AAAAAAAAAVA__FdGvqfDIOc_s800_026.JPG

alh3.ggpht.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TOQiTASmpcI_AAAAAAAAAVE_qqwxXgh0G80_s800_032.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice pics!.
As for score, I don't see the mass to go into the high 140's, but I do know for a fact that photo's don't do well looking at mass, and I don't know why.
He has good tine length, but being a 9 point, I'm seeing in the low 130's?
Like has been said, photo's don't do justice sometimes. You were there.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice pics!.
As for score, I don't see the mass to go into the high 140's, but I do know for a fact that photo's don't do well looking at mass, and I don't know why.
He has good tine length, but being a 9 point, I'm seeing in the low 130's?
Like has been said, photo's don't do justice sometimes. You were there.

I might be a tad high on that guess. He looked big from 18 yards. :D

He had good tine length, and decent mass around the bases.

The length of the main beams and spread is what impressed me. You can get an idea of the spread in this pic, if you can make out the out of focus rack. He was really wide, and the pictures don't show it that well.

alh3.ggpht.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TOQiTASmpcI_AAAAAAAAAVE_qqwxXgh0G80_s800_032.JPG

I'll tell you some of the biggest bucks I've seen on the hoof have been in urban/suburban areas, or in areas you'd never expect them. In fact I think the biggest buck I've ever seen (excluding bucks at MCAAP) was in a hayfield near T-town one time.

Here was one my dad caught in a suburban area a couple years ago.

http://okgunsafety.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49239

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell ya what we're gonna do. I'll get my AR with the suppressor, you get a bright flash light and we'll go get him at night.

We'll need proper ninja attire as well.

It's Yuppieville. Just put on slacks and loafers, tie a pastel colored sweater around your waist and borrow a rat dog. Not only will you be able to walk right up on him without him sensing danger, nobody will think you look out of place in the neighborhood.

While I was crouched in the bushes for 10 minutes, I wondered if I could have lashed my pocket knife to a stick and made a go at him.

I know so many spots in populated areas that hold big buck. Most of them don't allow hunting. In fact, I know for a fact no hunting is allowed anywhere this buck ever sets foot.

I've longed dreamed of hunting one of these areas, not only for the big bucks...I'd really like to be loading a dead animal in the back of a truck when a yuppie drives by with their Starbucks. "Hey, I don't stare at you when you're loading your groceries."

Are you gonna make Oklahoma rifle season this year, mag?

Latest posts

Top Bottom