Government Forcing Gas Prices Up So We Go Green?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not anything new?
I really don't think you understand what I'm saying or haven't researched the logistics of what has been happening in oil demand/price. Cushing has the largest oil storage capacity in the world. It's a significant delivery point for oil bought through the exchange aswell. Either way, they have been saying for quite some time that the price of oil is ridiculous compared to the fundamentals of the current capacity of storage in the U.S. especially considering the levels we are at now, how many new finds we've had, etc compared to 2008. Therefore, the speculation on the middle east is driving up oil. Notice the conviction of speculators seems to be waning when the price hit 100?

But yeah... I'm sure all that is moot.... it's Obama.

And how many days worth of world consumption is stored in Cushing? And isn't there some discussion about Cushing's 'price point' being off the world market due to a large influx of Canadian crude to this one facility?

My point is...regardless of our local perception, if the world demand is increasing (it is isn't it?) and if one of of the largest consuming countries throws up roadblocks to developing new finds and does everything to discourage new drilling, that affects speculation. Speculation looks farther down the road than what Cushing might have 'in the tank'....You said the administration wasn't throwing up roadblocks....I cited at least one case where they are. Cushing having oil doesn't prove they aren't.

If it walks like a duck....The President and others have openly said they want higher energy prices and are taking action to make it so. That's fact....

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congress has been steering the population's preferences via fiscal policy for decades. They want something, they offer tax incentives. Definitely not something new for the gov't to do.

I'm sure he does want oil to skyrocket.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cushing having oil doesn't prove they aren't.

Ok, I see you're still not getting it. The SURPLUS shows that it's a moot point. I don't care if you googled Cushing and found the recent story of a slight mismatch in price. The U.S. Oil SUPPLY is high, therefore whatever percieved restrictions you are touting are ineffective or not there altogether. There are plenty of new drill sites going currently the U.S, exploration is exploding, the U.S. has had some incredible finds DURING the Obama administration. If you can post some significant restrictions placed by the gov on these finds like the Bakken, then I'm all ears.

If it walks like a duck....The President and others have openly said they want higher energy prices and are taking action to make it so. That's fact....

Which is why he ordered an inquiry to gas price gouging today?

Look, can't stand the guy either, but some of you gotta start thinking for yourselves instead of listening to republican blowhard rhetoric. According to Gibson Consulting, the lowest production year in the last 50years was in 2005. Oh noes!!! Bush hated oil too!! :thumb:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Which is why he ordered an inquiry to gas price gouging today?"

Pandering, nothing more. Open the gulf back up....drill in ANWAR...streamline Nuke plant approval. Etc....

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
17% of $133b is $22.6b. This would include disaster payments as well as crop insurance not to mention programs like ACRE, SURE, NAP, and DCP. Those are all programs that pay individual farmers and not farm corporations.

I have no idea which program or excuse the government used to transfer MY tax dollars to ADM (Supermarket to the world), but I do know that they got billions.
Perhaps, you can find a good reason why I have to pay for all those alphabet soup programs you mentioned, I cannot.

Another thing to consider is that most of the corn grown in the US is genetically modified and cannot be used directly for human consumption. It's primary purpose is livestock feed and fuel.

It raised the prices of all food stuff including meat. There were many reports written on the subject. Ethanol is nothing but transfer of wealth from some people to others.
You see we are not talking about tax breaks, we are talking of billions in cash taken from me and given to some arrogant farmer who would not even allow a fellow tax payer to hunt on his land, subsidized by the taxpayers.

I personally don't think ethanol is the answer to our problems but every source of energy that doesn't come from the middle east is a good thing.

Sorry it doesn't work that way. When you use the equivalent of a barrel of oil to grow the equivalent in ethanol, all you do is transfer money from people that desperately need it to people that can do without it but are willing to make campaign contributions.

We're talking about switchgrass, not corn. And you're saying food is more expensive because corn is subsidized? I'd like to see you demonstrate some sort of causal link there.

We are talking about oil, some mentioned switchgrass ethanol, I mentioned ethanol in general and corn in particular. We have been producing corn ethanol up to now and it sucks, I don't see a need for the same garbage made from switch grass and paying through the nose while we are sitting on all this oil.
Food is more expensive because of the corn ethanol. Take my word on this, or try "G O O G L E" no spaces, small letters ok.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are talking about oil, some mentioned switchgrass ethanol, I mentioned ethanol in general and corn in particular. We have been producing corn ethanol up to now and it sucks, I don't see a need for the same garbage made from switch grass and paying through the nose while we are sitting on all this oil.
Food is more expensive because of the corn ethanol. Take my word on this, or try "G O O G L E" no spaces, small letters ok.

You're just repeating Rush. You make the positive assertion, you back it up.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which is why he ordered an inquiry to gas price gouging today?

Look, can't stand the guy either, but some of you gotta start thinking for yourselves instead of listening to republican blowhard rhetoric. According to Gibson Consulting, the lowest production year in the last 50years was in 2005. Oh noes!!! Bush hated oil too!! :thumb:

And he also has stated that he might open up the strategic reserve. I have to ask..Why? I was under the impression that it was for emergency supply problems? :scratch: If he is willing to do that, that tells me all I need to know.

NoNuts doesn't have a clue on ANY issue, except in a political spectrum. He is only going to go as far as it takes to get another 6% majority of the vote in 2012. He has no intention what so ever of implementing a real energy policy that will actually work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom