GPS for hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do y'all use GPS devices in the field? I think I would mainly use one to locate the boundaries and some remote/oddball corners on public hunting lands. What sort of features do you feel are critical? Favorite brands? Favorite maps? Other advice?

Thanks,
Sam

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used an old Garmin GPSMap for years. You are only limited by your imagination on how to use them. Saved my behind on one elk hunt a few years ago. I hiked into a new spot in the mountains about 3.5 miles, stayed till dark and a snow storm drove me out but followed my GPS directly back to the 4x4 late that night. I would have had to spend the night out without it. Remember, tho', it's a gizmo and gizmo's can fail. Another thing I like is you can go to Google Earth, find chokepoints (or black timber) away from roads and mark waypoints and plot your routes. It has been more useful to me in the big mountains than in Oklahoma but it's still good here.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old GPS that I can't even remember the name of, but its still accurate. I can walk up a mountain on a two track road on the right side and walk down on the left side, and see where I'm walking. Never had the occasion to NEED to use it, but its always in my back pack in the mountains.

BTW, If you get in some canyons, the GPS will not be able to pick up the satellite's needed for guidance.

NEVER go to the mountains without a compass, and learn how to use it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry 2 compasses because when you are dehydrated, lost, and tired you might not want to trust a single compass. When the second compass confirms the first compass directions then there is not mistaking what you need to do. Been there and done that. Besides, a GPS has batteries that run down at the worst possible time.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto, I carry two compasses, GPS and spare batteries and enough stuff to survive for 2-3 days in a mountain snowstorm, all in a Kifaru Spike Camp. Doesn't weigh much either. Course, I don't carry that to a tree stand, but then, I don't go to a tree stand.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NEVER go to the mountains without a compass, and learn how to use it.

Roger that. I wear a Timex compass watch and keep a Suunto A10 in my man-purse daily (including days in the field). Personally, I consider navigating from the maps a big part of the fun. I'll use the GPS to keep me from erring too badly, especially near private land boundaries, etc.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two different Garmin Rinos, and love them both. They are the 130 and 655t. I don't go hunting without them, and carry a spare compass as well. I also like the fact of having a 2 way radio built in to talk back and forth with hunting partners. The newer Rinos, and a few other models will even update partner's locations automatically without having to talk on the radio. Another bonus for the two models I have is that they recieve NOAA radio too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom