Grandpa's IBM...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out shooting yesterday on a buddies land. I took the M1 Carbine and .303 Enfield rifles that my Grandfather had bought many years ago...

It was a fun time plinking with the kids...It was also awesome to get to shoot the Family Heirlooms and share them with some youngsters. I think Grandpa would have been smiling and proud...

I was a little nervous about shooting the guns as they are 60 years old, and the M1 hasn't been fired in 40 years. I loaded up the magazine with (gahd knows how old) Milsurp GI issued ammo (stamped L C 5). I was a little surprised when the gun smoothly chambered the 1st round... I had already checked the barrel with a flashlight to make sure it was unobstructed but was a little nervous about that 1st shot...

I held the rifle away from my body at hip height and squeezed the trigger for the 1st shot. I was quite pleased when the gun fired and chambered the next round. I shouldered the rifle, took aim at a pop can, sucked in and squeezed....The pop can and mud flew 15 feet into the air!

...now at this point...I am grinning from ear to ear :) I wasn't sure the gun was going to work, the poor girl hadn't put one down range (according to my Father) in over 40 years. So, to not only have the gun function, but hit on target on the 1st aimed shot made my day!

We shot the remainder of the old ammo (except for one 10 round stripper clip...we left that original and untouched). The gun did have a few jams and probably needs a good cleaning.

So, this brings me to my questions...

1.) Can anyone provide me a good link to some info on cleaning M1 carbines?

2.) Info on this gun. Serial number "3919XXX". The barrel is stamped "I.B.M. CORP." . The serial number seems to be consistent with an IBM made in 1944 (from the info on the web I have found). The magazine release has an underscored "M" stamped on it. The strap around the barrel and stock has a "SA" stamped on it. The gun has a bayonet mount.

Pics to come!

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry about the dirty carpet and quality of the pics...They aren't pretty but get the info across:

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0154.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0140.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0147.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0141.jpg

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_703_DSC_0139.jpg

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As far as a good cleaning and how to field strip it I would check out www.odcmp.com. Its the Civilian Marksmanship Program and they still sell M-1 Carbines and have a lot of links to sites dedicated to this fine weapon. Now you need to get an M-1 Garand to keep it company.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JWE, Yep...that is the same link and scanned page I've seen around online. I've also seen a bunch of people "bashing" that reference... I have no doubt the "heart" of the gun was made by IBM...but exactly when it was made may be up in the air.

Any body have access to any other references on the subject of M1's?

Joker: Thanks! I suspected as much about the stock and barrel strap. Any idea where, who, what or when?

Shoot Summ: Yep, this one will be staying "in the family".

GlockCop: Good link...and yes...I'm very tempted to get a Garand to keep it company! Some Gentlemen from the VFA gave a Salute to my Grandfather at his funeral with Garands. I think it would be a very fitting gun to go with the carbine.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jealous! I have an M1 carbine but it is an Inland and is being a little finicky at the moment. I used to work for IBM and would like to have a carbine made by them. I get a kick knowing that those stuffy, penny pinching -farm your job out to a 3rd world nation- idiots made guns during WWII.

:thumbup3:

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Springfield Armory.The stock may have the SA or be unmarked.An IBM stock and barrel band would increase the value,but they are expensive. I'd probably get a book rather than spending time chasing info on the internet.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Springfield Armory.The stock may have the SA or be unmarked.An IBM stock and barrel band would increase the value,but they are expensive. I'd probably get a book rather than spending time chasing info on the internet.

+1 I highly recommend the M1 Carbine books, War Baby! Vols. 1 and 2. Volume 1 covers the WW2 years, and the second volume covers the post-war years. I learned scads from these references while researching my Rock-Ola Carbine. They're kind of pricey, but are excellent sources of info, and an entertaining read to boot :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom