Great day at 2A - but a little disappointed, too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the fam and some friends from out of the country to 2A in Tulsa yesterday.

Was a little rough at first, getting everything together and loaded up and then unloaded and set up at 2A. It was so humid I was sweating like a pig. The guys at the counter noticed it and were nice enough to crank the AC in the shooting lanes which helped me a ton, but had the side effect of fogging the glass. Also, since my visitors were from the Caribbean, they were freezing, but hey, sorry 'bout ya luck, right?

Shot a few ARs, but the pink one locked up and I can't draw the bolt, can't remove the upper, nothing. Think I'm gonna have to try the "mortar" trick, looks exactly like what happened once before and the guys at FBT helped me out. I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but this looks just like it - bolt partially back, but nothing is functional, like the CH, bolt, nothing. I suspicioned it was like last time and how to fix it, but didn't want to "mortar" an AR inside the lanes at 2A, thought that might be frowned upon. Luckily I brought three more ARs with me to play with.

Also brought a number of handguns, took my son with his M&P 15-22 and his little Walther P22. Luckily, the P22 functioned almost flawlessly with the new CC mini-mags that Mr. Glock gave me (thanks a TON, buddy!!!). Still on the fence about this gun... I like it, but it irritates me that I have to use specific ammo for it. :( Not fun for "plinking", but it sure was fun to see my boy able to completely handle the thing from start to finish. Loading mags, handling safely, clearing the rare malfunction, etc. Same with his M&P 15-22. He's turning into quite a little operator, I'm tellin' ya, man!

Got to shoot a TON of rounds through my FDE rifle, which I've never gotten to do - I had loaned it out to one of our deputies who didn't have her own patrol rifle yet, so it's been gone for 4-5 months, I think. Anyways, I had put an Eotech-built Bushnell holographic on it and hadn't gotten to play with it. It's got the ring-and-dot holo which is interesting, first time shooting with that. I spent about an hour trying to get it sighted in at 25 yards. Seemed really hard to me. But hey, whatever. Last 5-round group was dead center and left a ragged bullseye, I was finally happy. Not sure how accurate these things are supposed to be, I know they are primarily for CQB stuff, but I don't know what I was expecting. Maybe it's just my old eyes or dirty contacts? lol

My friend Art was really wanting to shoot some full-auto stuff and this is where the disappointment comes in. When we first got there, we talked to the guys at the counter and were saying we wanted to shoot full-auto stuff later. The SCAR, the FS2000 and the Kriss Vector were all on our list. After a couple of hours of shooting, we went to ask about it and they told us they couldn't rent the FA stuff because they didn't have enough employees there. Man, I was BUMMED! I mean, I really really wanted to shoot the FS2000 and get some video of all of us shooting the various models. Damn, that was a serious disappointment.

Art initially liked my Glock model 22, but then when I showed him my 1911s, he was hooked. He spent the next 2 hours shooting just the SA and the Para 1911s. They got so dirty the Para starting cycling poorly and he had to switch to the SA V-10 Champion, which he liked, but not as much - the Para has a ton of Wilson parts and trigger and all. It's very sweet. But he has always thought he wanted a Glock, that's what most of the people where he's from in the Caribbean want (TV wannabes), but now he's so hung up on 1911s he is thinking of a Wilson Combat, since the guys behind the counter were bragging on them. I've gotten him seriously hooked on guns. lol He loved the ARs as well, but spend the vast majority of his time shooting the 1911s. :D

Downside - I've got some SERIOUS, SERIOUS gun cleaning that needs to be done! Anyways, we're going to have to plan next time to make certain we can get some full-auto shooting in when he comes up. I'll have to arrange a private session or something, I dunno.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my last run with 20 rounds on the Eotech. How good are they at shooting farther out? I was under the impression that people could get reasonable accuracy with them out to 100 yards or so. I suppose a magnifier might help? I had trouble seeing the dots at the range that far out. Not the center one, but the 4 corner ones, I'd have to move the holosight off the area to see the red target circle, then move it back to center the holosight dot over the target. I'm learning to have alot of fun with slow target shooting. I really want to get into distance shooting. <sigh> Someday...

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20140527_084921_zps9p940c3t.jpg

Oh, and with my son's Walther P22, he gave up shooting it because it was ejecting brass and hitting him square in the center of his forehead. Over and over, every time, for a couple of mags' worth. Not sure why it would extract like that, but maybe it was shooting a bit slow as it needs to be well-cleaned as well. All my guns are dirty right now, lol. I gotta get on the ball with that. ;)

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear your sons Walther shot the CCI, but I am like you, I don't think I would keep a pistol that was selective on ammo! He might have to do some swapping and pick him up a Ruger MK2 or something that will hit and shoot anything you fill it up with.

Man, sounds like you all had a awesome weekend up there in Bartlesvile, with the new Smooker, delicious looking grub you have been cooking, spending time with family and friends and shooting guns, cannot get no better than that in my book!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and with my son's Walther P22, he gave up shooting it because it was ejecting brass and hitting him square in the center of his forehead. Over and over, every time, for a couple of mags' worth. Not sure why it would extract like that, but maybe it was shooting a bit slow as it needs to be well-cleaned as well. All my guns are dirty right now, lol. I gotta get on the ball with that. ;)

My G34 does that to me ... Get that boy a hat!! :wink2:

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing with my EOTech on my Blackout AR pistol. My results looked like yours. Given that the sight isn't in a fixed location in the prism, it's very difficult to get much better results w/o some kind of temporary indexing on the glass

I'll second what BB said, get him a hat. Glocks used to be notorious for what got dubbed Brass to Face. 1 hot brass lodging in your glasses will be the last time you don't wear a hat

Let me know if you want to borrow my Ruger 22/45 for your son to try

Latest posts

Top Bottom