ground blind or ladder stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am most likely going to hunt from the ground and may not even use a pop up blind. I have been told if you hunt from the ground without a blind you need to brush yourself in with limbs and such. Is that really effective. Also, how often do hunters on the ground get hit by stray bullets? That is a concern of mine.

Reaction score
Well, on stray bullets - (a) it could happen, but you're probably more likely to get hit by lightning, even if on public land, and (b) no blind will help anyway, and (c) you're less likely to get hit on the ground than from an elevated stands, as far as an unintentional stray shot goes (and as for intentional, someone-thinks-you're-game shot, no amount of planning can prevent that kind of idiocy).

You need to control your scent regardless, which is a topic that would take days and many pages to fully discuss - just research a lot on scent control and using the wind. I suppose you have to be even more concerned out of a blind than in about scent, but not really - either way, you have to control scent or use wind really well or both, to achieve success, usually.

As for blending in. Deer don't really see shapes very well - they see movement. Especially if you're sitting in a chair or against a tree. But you'll actually be better hidden without a blind than with one, *if* it's not a blind that they're used to (i.e. if it's a blind you just plopped out that day). You can move more in a blind, but the blind itself will be much more 'detectable' by the game than just you sitting there, again, if you're talking a new blind you just put out.

The two deer I've taken with my bow were both just sitting on a folding stool or folding chair, sitting very still and waiting. Use a little camo to blend in with the trees, and sit still! You don't need a blind or hide yourself with sticks, if that's what you meant. If you meant rub leaves on yourself, then well yes, that's one of many facets of scent control, part of what I recommend you go read up on. Rubbing some cedar branches all over yourself is a good idea if the wind is agin' ya, whether or not you have a blind. Other trees besides cedar work too, but not as well as cedar.

But just to clarify - you talking deer, or some other game? Archery or rifle? Public or private lands? Blind put out well in advance or plopped out the same day? It all depends on this stuff.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's the trick to being able to stand up to draw, if you aren't elevated or hidden some other way? I'll be doing my hunting from the ground as well.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't shot a bow in years, but for blackpowder and rifle seasons I have always sat next to a tree or big rock. I kick everything out from under me so I can move my legs when they try to go to sleep without making noise. I have used some mesh for blinds before but usually don't. Using this method I have had deer come up within 5 yards of me before thinking anything was unusual. I wear normal cammies that anyone can get anywhere.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the trick to being able to stand up to draw, if you aren't elevated or hidden some other way? I'll be doing my hunting from the ground as well.

1) you probably won't have a chance to stand. Set up so you can draw from a sitting position. I like to use a turkey seat against a tree. It gets me up just enough off the ground to shoot, but helps me keep a low profile.
2) Wait until you can't see thier eyes to draw. If you can see any part of their eyes they will see you.
3) ensure you have a good background to break up your outline. Deer can pick up your outline quick.
4) Leafy suits and ghillie suits are awesome for hunting off the ground.
5) Have a blast. There's nothing like being at eye level with a deer at 10yrds.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a ladder stand for the view. I feel like God up there, getting to determine who lives and who dies... God complex, wha? I think it helps with scent a little bit too. If there is a steady breeze, it seems like my scent will float right over top of them sometimes if they get downwind of my stank.

I like ground blinds too. I used to crossbow hunt at the base of trees, makes for an easier double lung shot if you are level with them. Took an ol gal out huntin one time and we just sat at the base of a pecan and I brushed us in. Had a gorgeous 8 point literally chase 7 does around the tree we were sitting against. At times I could have reached out with my xbow and touched one, we never got busted. I passed on the buck just because it was too beautiful of a site to behold. She fell in love with deer and hunting after that. She made some guy a good huntin wife I'm sure.

To draw in full view and get a shot off, you'd have to have a really curious or really stupid deer I would think... which happens. When they don't know what you are, I've seen them actually walk towards me just to get a look or a whiff. If you don't alarm them with your smell or quick motion, you might get lucky.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, on stray bullets - (a) it could happen, but you're probably more likely to get hit by lightning, even if on public land, and (b) no blind will help anyway, and (c) you're less likely to get hit on the ground than from an elevated stands, as far as an unintentional stray shot goes (and as for intentional, someone-thinks-you're-game shot, no amount of planning can prevent that kind of idiocy).

You need to control your scent regardless, which is a topic that would take days and many pages to fully discuss - just research a lot on scent control and using the wind. I suppose you have to be even more concerned out of a blind than in about scent, but not really - either way, you have to control scent or use wind really well or both, to achieve success, usually.

As for blending in. Deer don't really see shapes very well - they see movement. Especially if you're sitting in a chair or against a tree. But you'll actually be better hidden without a blind than with one, *if* it's not a blind that they're used to (i.e. if it's a blind you just plopped out that day). You can move more in a blind, but the blind itself will be much more 'detectable' by the game than just you sitting there, again, if you're talking a new blind you just put out.

The two deer I've taken with my bow were both just sitting on a folding stool or folding chair, sitting very still and waiting. Use a little camo to blend in with the trees, and sit still! You don't need a blind or hide yourself with sticks, if that's what you meant. If you meant rub leaves on yourself, then well yes, that's one of many facets of scent control, part of what I recommend you go read up on. Rubbing some cedar branches all over yourself is a good idea if the wind is agin' ya, whether or not you have a blind. Other trees besides cedar work too, but not as well as cedar.

But just to clarify - you talking deer, or some other game? Archery or rifle? Public or private lands? Blind put out well in advance or plopped out the same day? It all depends on this stuff.

Good info here. I've taken a lot of game from blinds. In fact, I shot a coyote last weekend from one with my xbow. I like them, because they keep the wind off you and keep mosquitoes to a minimum in the warm weather.

I'm hunting an urban area right now that I'm just sitting in a folding chair. I have the chair against a tree and I'm in between 2 bushes. I agree 100% that deer don't have good vision. I've had deer stare at me from 15 yards in a tree stand and if I don't move they continue to feed. The key is to limit movement. Also, I spray scent killer on my clothes.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick and cheap way to mask your scent is to put your clothes into a trash bag or plastic tub and add cedar shavings from pet dept at Wallyworld. They will absorb the odor real quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom