Guest in our house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have at least temporarily in a friend of our daughter. His mother kicked him out last week over an argument. It appears he may not be allowed back. Other than my increased costs for my household what are any legal considerations.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is he a minor? If so, I'd talk to a family law attorney, just in case.

If he's not a minor lay down the law and stick to it. We let a relative (she was 18 and got kicked out of another relative's home) stay with us and it was an absolute fiasco. She lied, cheated, and stole until we finally just had to boot her. It's unfortunate, but there is only so much you can do. Just make sure he really wants to help himself, because if he doesn't he will only cause you heartache and cost you $$$s ...

I wish my experience had been more positive but I can only relay what happened with us.

Good luck!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minor?

We have several of what we term couch kids in the school district, basically because of family problems they wind up crashing at friends houses and continue going to school in the district. I had one of the ladies in my department a few years ago that had a couch kid in her home, to my knowledge the legal issues are between the parents and the kids as long as you are providing them a safe place to stay and food you are usually pretty safe as long as you don't insert yourself between the parents and the teenager. Better than letting them stay on the street just lay down the rules, education must continue no friends hanging out at all hours of the day and night, no booze, drugs, or parties.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, when my kids were growing up, we had some good kids with bad parents, that spent some time living with us. I coached baseball teams, and the kids were all friends. One young man spent about 6 months with us until a grand parent took him in. Other times it was for a few days until their parents got their situation solved.

I don't remember even thinking of legal problems, but BB probably has the best idea in this atmosphere where everybody wants to sue somebody.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW my aunt and uncle practically raised 2 of their sons friends during high school, one of them wound up living with them for 1.5 years till he graduated and to this day still calls my aunt mom and doesn't speak to his parents.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll second the caution about getting between the parent and the minor - for example if the parent says its ok to come home and the teen doesn't want to and you keep him that could be interference with custodial rights (or the equivalent in OK). Bottom Line - talk to a family law attorney if you are even considering that you might not simply be sheltering for a little while until things cool down or if you have any inkling that the parents might not like your role.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And isn't that sad that we have to think that way, even when a kid needs help?

It is a sad situation that it is that way.

Helping folks can be detrimental to ones financial progress in some states.
Thank God Ok has the Good Samaritin law that releases somebody from liability when trying to help somebody involved in a car wreck, shooting, etc.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consider also any potential medical issues. You can't authorize medical treatment for him.

I'd second (third?) touching base with an attorney. Money spent now will be less than what you spend later. I'd also make sure they know where he is.

ETA: And good on you for being willing to take him in.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your daughters boyfriend living in your house is not a good thing, You know what is going to happen when you are not looking.
Well now that he is there, Lock up your guns, ammo, Booze, and put a filter on your TV and Computer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom