Gun Free Zone Liability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If their insurance got hit from a customer injured during a confrontation then maybe they would change their stance.

Unfortunately because of the mentality of insurance companies, I’m thinking Snattle’s probably right because in their minds, “attempting” to ban guns from an establishment makes better sense rather than allowing them. They probably feel allowing defensive guns adds more risk and liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gimmie an example of a religious faith that would make someone ban guns from their establishment.... and no, I’m not taking about a church because most churches who don’t welcome guns are those places that most any other place ban guns because they just don’t want guns at all, even those carried for defense.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that the majority of businesses who ban guns or just open carry from their establishment, are the ones that either hate guns, or because they don’t want the open carrier “scaring” off their gun-hating customers.

Quakerism.

And please prove 'majority'.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a strawman argument. If they allow firearms then it comes down to ME to protect myself, which is how life really is. When they remove my ability to protect myself then I'm dependent on either the business or local LEO to defend my life.

Nope. Their choice to ban guns in no way removes you of your ability to protect yourself as you still have a choice about being there. Don't want to be in danger in a gun-free private business, simply don't go there. It might not be easy for you, but you are still armed with the ability to stay out of a 'dangerous situation'.

No one is talking about eroding rights. Please tell me where in that bill it states businesses can not tell customers to leave their guns in the car? All it does is give customers who are injured due to an altercation in a business that does not allow firearms a pathway for compensation because said business removed their ability to protect themself. And this doesn't have to mean they have to have armed guards. They could carry supplemental insurance, have silent alarm buttons installed for faster police response, or develope other plans to prevent assailants from hurting customers.

There has to be a balance between my right to self protection and business owner's rights. To say one trumps the other is asinine. What you are saying is a business owner's right trumps my 2A right and I have no way to be compensated if I'm injured on their property because they took that right away from me.

I think this argument is akin to the gun grabbers who say 'oh, well clearly we need to make gun owners carry extra liability insurance'. It's not meant to make anyone safer but to be a barrier to that choice.

the balance you speak of is your ability to choose not to frequent a place that bans guns.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From WAGUNS.ORG:
"
What an awesome idea........ Minnesota: New Bill Would Allow Legally Armed Citizens To Sue Gun Free Zone Businesses If Injured While Disarmed

I can wrap my head around this..............

a portion of the article: Concealed Nation reports:

This new bill would change those requirements by adding something new. All notifications now must state that anyone prohibited from carrying a firearm is “under the custodial responsibility” of the business that is banning guns on their premises.

Details of the new bill state that a business or property owners which prohibits the carrying of firearms “shall assume absolute custodial responsibility for the safety and defense of the unarmed person” while the person is on the property.

Link: https://thewashingtonstandard.com/minne ... -disarmed/

Now.......... How quickly would Gun Free Zones disappear?"
Another closet liberal spotted here.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. Their choice to ban guns in no way removes you of your ability to protect yourself as you still have a choice about being there. Don't want to be in danger in a gun-free private business, simply don't go there. It might not be easy for you, but you are still armed with the ability to stay out of a 'dangerous situation'.

I think this argument is akin to the gun grabbers who say 'oh, well clearly we need to make gun owners carry extra liability insurance'. It's not meant to make anyone safer but to be a barrier to that choice.

the balance you speak of is your ability to choose not to frequent a place that bans guns.
Dont argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience in idiocy

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quakerism.
Never heard of that one but ok, that’s one of them- but, what is it about their religion and not allowing guns on their property/establishments?

And please prove 'majority'.

But how would I prove the majority to you?? I can’t. I guess I could go around to each and every business in America and start askin’ questions but, I don’t really think there is a feasible way to fully answer your question. But whatever the reason why whoever business/establishment bans guns, doesn’t matter.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of that one but ok, that’s one of them- but, what is it about their religion and not allowing guns on their property/establishments?

But how would I prove the majority to you?? I can’t. I guess I could go around to each and every business in America and start askin’ questions but, I don’t really think there is a feasible way to fully answer your question. But whatever the reason why whoever business/establishment bans guns, doesn’t matter.

Lots of quakers in this world. Especially in places like indiana, north carolina and Pennsylvania. My wife's family has been attending the same meeting (read church) for upwards of 260 years in North Carolina.

Some of the first conscientious objector laws in our country were written for them. Long tradition of pacifism and religious objections to violence and war. Some interesting stories from times like WWII where Quakers were unarmed litter carriers aiding injured troops. Some went so far as to volunteer for medical experiments as their was of contributing without violating their religious principles.

And your point about 'majority' is the same as mine. You are speculating why a business might object. It could be hatred of guns, or because their insurance company demands it for a lower rate. Either way, them choosing to ban weapons does not disarm you. Your choosing to go in disarmed does. The choices being made that put someone in danger happen before that person enters the store and it involves two sides.

And i agree, it doesn't matter why they ban guns nor should it. But lets not use bad laws to create special situations whereby they are more liable as a way to punish them. How long would it take for a democrat in Virginia to see a law like this and say 'great, let's create one too, only we are going to make a business more liable if they allow guns.' I'm sure they think that will surely protect susie soccer mom from someone carrying a highpoint in their sweat pant waistband who might as easily have an ND as save someone from from a random attack.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of quakers in this world. Especially in places like indiana, north carolina and Pennsylvania. My wife's family has been attending the same meeting (read church) for upwards of 260 years in North Carolina.

Some of the first conscientious objector laws in our country were written for them. Long tradition of pacifism and religious objections to violence and war. Some interesting stories from times like WWII where Quakers were unarmed litter carriers aiding injured troops. Some went so far as to volunteer for medical experiments as their was of contributing without violating their religious principles.

And your point about 'majority' is the same as mine. You are speculating why a business might object. It could be hatred of guns, or because their insurance company demands it for a lower rate. Either way, them choosing to ban weapons does not disarm you. Your choosing to go in disarmed does. The choices being made that put someone in danger happen before that person enters the store and it involves two sides.

And i agree, it doesn't matter why they ban guns nor should it. But lets not use bad laws to create special situations whereby they are more liable as a way to punish them. How long would it take for a democrat in Virginia to see a law like this and say 'great, let's create one too, only we are going to make a business more liable if they allow guns.' I'm sure they think that will surely protect susie soccer mom from someone carrying a highpoint in their sweat pant waistband who might as easily have an ND as save someone from from a random attack.

I guess I could see your point on that but I guess I’m just also looking too much at it like, of how they expect a no gun sign to keep the bad person out. And yes, I know that places like federal buildings and airports for example are held to different standards, but most of those places don’t rely on just a sign to keep guns out. They either have, or have a combination of armed security with pat-downs and metal detectors.

But I don’t know… Whatever the reason for expecting just a sign to protect an establishment from bad people who intend to do harm, they’re still a bad idea, and they still get people killed. Most everybody wants to end “gun” violence but expecting these aptly named robbers welcome or bad guys welcome signs to fob the job, doesn’t make anybody safer. Yeah, they may keep out the bozo whom which you described who stuffs a pistol in the waistband of a pair of sweatpants, but the bad guy who wishes to take advantage of all the would-be hero’s who’s abiding by the law and disarming, what are we all left to do to end the reason why anyone of us good guys would wanna carry in there armed in the first place? Sure, we can all just shop elsewhere but realistically, you’re not gonna get everybody to do that which means that no gun signs are still going to continue to get people killed. Even though in my humble little opinion, the majority of people gonna be at risk is all the liberals and the gun haters who think they’re safe by shopping in a no guns zone.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are having different conversations with each other.

I mean you're in the same ballpark, but one of you is playing football and one of you is playing baseball, and you're arguing about the rules.

Latest posts

Top Bottom