Gun goes off by itself? Doubtful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First and foremost let me say our Prayers are out to ALL involved and the family.

I DO understand people coming to the defense of the child that was there and wasn't shot...i really do, and it is justified. I don't think anyone was trying to heap more onto the remaining child by what was being posted. Everyone must try to understand that while undoubtedly TRAGIC and devastating, this event being blamed on "A gun that just went off with no one touching it" Is a gun grabbers dream and the people here and on other forums, etc...aren't just going to sit by and let that story go unchallenged. They are not attacking the child, they are challenging the media and anyone else that reports this as a magical discharge. My heart goes out to the deceased child, the sister, parents and their family and friends, but what's done is done and we have all learned that the media, the government and everyone else takes things like this and runs with them...it's a sad state of affairs that we even HAVE to defend gun ownership and everything involved with it when something like this happens, but in today's world, we do, and that too, is justified.

By challenging the "story" we are in no way trying to make things worse on the child... but merely protecting a hard fought for right for millions and millions of citizens. I know that may sound very callous, but believe me it's NOT meant that way, and if you could see into my heart, you would know that...but it has to be said all the same.

Love, Peace and Prayers too all...

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Condolences to the family.

Firearms do not just go off unless acted upon by an outside agency. In every instance I have ever investigated negligence was involved.

I do not want to cause unnecessary additional grief to the family but we can use this tragedy to help teach others how to avoid a repeat of these circumstances.

All firearms should be made inaccessible and inoperable to unauthorized persons. If firearms are in the home any occupant of the home should be taught rudimentary firearms safety.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully in the coming years she can somewhat recover. I had a friend that shot and killed his big brother in a hunting accident when they were kids. He eventually got to where he would shoot a gun again and started hunting again but it took almost 20 years. No doubt that there will be trauma for the rest of her life. Praying for her and the family.

tiffany_willis

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am probably what you consider a gun grabber, in that I am a gun owner, but I think background checks would be quite nifty. I also prefer that my daughter goes to college next year at a campus that doesn't have every half drunk 20 year old armed (my senile governor is going for that). I would also prefer that our representatives in Congress not be puppets of the NRA, who is a puppet of the gun industry. Have I earned the "gun grabber" label yet?

Here is what gun nuts don't understand about gun grabbers. We are going to pounce FAR harder on the child shooting another child accidentally scenario. We aren't one bit concerned with rogue guns going crazy on their own. It's the people component we pay attention to, always. "Guns don't kill people....people who are armed kill people." How could you guys think we're focused on guns that go off by themselves? Do you think we're stupid? I promise you we're usually quite educated, though I know that in some parts of the country, that's not a boasting point. I too often feel compelled to apologize for my education and point out that I live in rural East Texas and would not wish to live where I live without a gun myself.

Just thought I'd clear that up. Having said that, this involves the child of someone close to me, and this stuff is the furthest thing from my mind. I can say that these last 24 hours have made me painfully conscious of my own remote and aloof opinions about people who have been through this tragedy. I won't err again in discussions about these incidents.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it is possible it was a revolver depending on the age of the weapon or if the bar has been messed with. its possible also that the hammer was not fulled decocked and the sear failed. but as what others have said its possible someone was messing with it and puled the trigger

Latest posts

Top Bottom