Gun safe Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blewis11

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new gun safe. Because of its location, I'm pretty much stuck with something that has to be less than 36" wide and less than 29" deep. So essentially, I'm in the market for 25 to 33 cubic foot safes. From Browning, anything with a 25 on it up to a 33, liberty 25, superior has some about the same size, etc. I really don't know where to look, I've looked at HH and Bass Pro, but that's about it. Anybody with some other ideas for me. Internet purchase is fine if its a good price, or local? Any thoughts on a safe I need to look at that I'm missing or are those pretty much the brands I should look at? I know some people don't like it, but for ease of use I'm pretty set on an electronic keypad lock as well.

Thanks for any help.

Billy

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new gun safe. Because of its location, I'm pretty much stuck with something that has to be less than 36" wide and less than 29" deep. So essentially, I'm in the market for 25 to 33 cubic foot safes. From Browning, anything with a 25 on it up to a 33, liberty 25, superior has some about the same size, etc. I really don't know where to look, I've looked at HH and Bass Pro, but that's about it. Anybody with some other ideas for me. Internet purchase is fine if its a good price, or local? Any thoughts on a safe I need to look at that I'm missing or are those pretty much the brands I should look at? I know some people don't like it, but for ease of use I'm pretty set on an electronic keypad lock as well.

Thanks for any help. Billy

here's basic's ...

1. buy the largest/best gun safe you can afford. to stay within budget, don't be afraid of a used safe if spec's are correct. (think used Bear Safe)

2. stay away from digital. besides possibility for electronic failures, creates a weak point of two wires that operates solenoid. cross those two wires, safe opens up.

3. don't be fooled by cleverly written sales brochures. quality safes start at 1/4in steel plate for door and enclosure. 3/8in and 1/2in are better yet. almost without exception safes sold at mass merchants use thin .11 gauge or thinner steel. with most of the weight in safe comprised of fire rated Sheetrock.

4. safes will not keep out a pro, only slow him down ... how long decides rating. most safes purchased at mass merchants can be opened within minutes by two men equipped only with a crowbar and long prybar.

5. fire insulation will not keep heat out, only slow it down... how long decides rating.

6. bolt your safe down!

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus 1 for the Bear safe. I don't have one, but a buddy of mine is a dealer up in Tulsa. If I ever buy another safe, it will be a Bear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom